My choices for washing machine drain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbob

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a drain decision before drywalling my laundry room walls. I currently have a standard top-loading washing machine, draining into the laundry tub sink, which drains into a 1-1/2" pipe (which connects to a 2" drain pipe below the concrete floor), but am planning to buy a front-loader eventually, and place it on a pedestal.

A wall mounted plumbing box is in place, where the supply valves live, but a stand pipe isn't roughed in yet.

In pondering my drain options, I'm considering these options:

1. Drain the new front load washer (from its pedestal height) into the laundry tub. Since the manufacturer recommends that drain hose be 29" above bottom of washer, the washer would drain into the tub at about 12-18" below the recommended level. Not sure how big a deal this is, honestly.

2. Install a 1-1/2" stand pipe. This would be relatively easy to do (by a plumber), and would be at the correct height, but would the washer overwhelm it? Some say they have no problem with 1.5 inch, others say that only a 2-inch drain will work adequately. (yes, I know that 2" is required now).

3. Dig up the concrete floor, so a plumber can install a 2-inch stand pipe, and connect it to the 2-inch pipe under the concrete. May be the best option, but also more expensive.

So those are the choices I'm considering. Looking the the best option and lowest cost, but don't want to make the wrong choice. If there are better options, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most of the newer washers use less water but discharge the water that they do use more quickly. The 2" requirement is proven for the long-haul, while the 1-1/2" still works under ideal conditions.

A third option would be to assemble a standpipe which discharges into the sink, which would bring the height up to that called for to the washer instructions, while circumventing the need for any additional plumbing modifications.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ideally into a laundry sink though an air break . . .NYC just changed the code (again) no longer can a 2" line be used under ground 3" min for washing machine

Plumbob

Reaction score
Ideally into a laundry sink though an air break . . .NYC just changed the code (again) no longer can a 2" line be used under ground 3" min for washing machine

I haven't found an air-gap "device" that fits a 1" washer drain hose. I'm thinking something that could be mounted to the wall or sink, and would look better than a home-made air gap setup. The only air gaps I've found are for softeners, for smaller tubing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks