Moving a basement shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimjr

Reaction score
This is a response to my initial question about moving the shower drain:

dj2 said:
1. You can move this drain to meet the new tub drain location, but you will need to break up and remove more concrete.
2. Once you remove the gravel and rocks around the drain hat you have, you will see the Ptrap.
3. The reason why you smell sewer if the tub is not used for extended periods of time is because the water in the Ptrap dries up.

My reply with my question:

Thank you.

I've attached 3 more pictures and my ultimate question is: What is the correct way to connect the 2 inch cast iron pipes together once I cut and pull up the original CI drain with p-trap? Please see pictures and info below.

So, I'm going to break up more concrete and cut off a section of the old CI drain with p-trap included.

This is an overview picture with original shower drain on the right. Next picture has markup to show new tub drain location.
index.php

The picture below shows where the new tub overflow pipe will be located. I need to cut out a section of the PT 2x4 and remove a little more concrete.

index.php

Although it's pretty obvious where I need to "tap into" or "connect to" I've included a marked up picture of that too. This is where I need to attach the old section of cut off drain and p-trap using some sort of a wye.

index.php

I believe I know the correct way to insert/connect the new tub overflow pipe (1 1/2 inch brass pipe) into the "old" shower drain pipe that has the rubber donut. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks