Most efficient supplemental heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stereo

Reaction score
I am isolating a couple rooms of my house for an apartment. Our day-living space is mostly on the south. The 140 sq ft main room of the apartment will be on the northeast corner. It has one dedicated 6" heating duct from a gas-fired 90% efficient furnace. (We don't have AC.) The future apt. room always runs cooler by a few degrees on any given day. On sunny days in the winter, we often don't have to run the furnace for a few hours at a time. The future apartment room doesn't get icy with the furnace off, but it will need some supplemental heat to maintain a comfortable temperature on any given day/night in the winter.

A couple ideas some have offered are to use baseboard heat or cove heating at the ceiling. Which is more efficient and/or comfortable? The ceiling cove heat would be helpful to avoid conflict with furniture but I'm curious if the heat wouldn't just stay on the ceiling. Our electricity costs about 13.3 cents per KW. Currently, we use only 250-310 KW per month for our 2000 sq ft home.

A minisplit is in the running but the cost is higher than I'd like to invest at this time, though I'll absolutely install it if supplemental heat doesn't work well enough or proves to be too expensive over the long run. If a minisplit is added, should the furnace duct and return air be capped? It's only one register out of 14 in the house.

I'd appreciate your opinions or alternate ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks