minimum distance between a gas cooktop and a light switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Will O'Neal

Reaction score
I have a light switch above a gas range - is there minimum distance between the two?

Somehow the light to turn on the under cabinet lighting was placed directly above (~10 inches) the gas range. Is this a problem?

Reaction score
I have a light switch above a gas range - is there minimum distance between the two?

Somehow the light to turn on the under cabinet lighting was placed directly above (~10 inches) the gas range. Is this a problem?
That is very bad form, to require a person to reach over the range to flip a switch. Whether your inspector is going to tolerate it is another question. I would hope that on sale of the house that the home inspector and buy's real estate agent would flag it.

I once relocated a switch and outlet that were just as you describe.

Will O'Neal

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. If I needed to search the electrical codes for my state on this, do you have any idea what terms I would use? I'm in Virginia.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, think of it this way...on many ranges, the control knobs (electric and sometimes gas) are on the rear panel of the stove...IOW, you're reaching over the stove burners to turn things on, adjust, often the oven, and maybe a timer, plus maybe a lamp, and often a lot lower than 10" above the top. While maybe not the best idea to have it above the stove...it probably isn't a code violation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks