Mildew smell in kitchen island and master bath vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

cdsChaCha77

Reaction score
Mildew smell in kitchen island and in master bath vanity:

Could these two mold/mildew issues be connected? Remodeled bathroom due to age and also due to mildew smell in vanity. One month later and the mildew smell is now in the brand new vanity.

Some darkening of wood floors near the kitchen island. We have hired 3 leak detectors - no leaks.

Should we consider a video camera in plumbing vent stacks and/or in plumping lines to look for clogs?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Are you sure it is not a sewer gas odor? Is it noticeable all the time or at times?

Is the bathroom vanity on an outside wall? I once had a window when it was hit by an irrigation leak spraying onto the glass, water entered on the side of the window (aluminum) frame into the wall behind the kitchen sink. You opened the cabinet door and go a blast of mildew odor.

Another source and recently we had a post hear, it was poor venting that would push sewer gas back past the p trap in a bathroom when the kitchen sink was used. The owner added an AAV under the kitchen sink and it solved the problem.

Last edited:

cdsChaCha77

Reaction score
Are you sure it is not a sewer gas odor? Is it noticeable all the time or at times?

Is the bathroom vanity on an outside wall? I once had a window when it was hit by an irrigation leak spraying onto the glass, water entered on the side of the window (aluminum) frame into the wall behind the kitchen sink. Same thing hear, you open the cabinet door and go a blast of mildew odor.

Another source and recently we had a post hear, it was poor venting that would push sewer gas back past the p trap in a bathroom when the kitchen sink was used. The owner added an AAV under the kitchen sink and it solved the problem.
Hi, thanks so much for the input!
Your first question spurred me on to research whether sewer gas can smell like mildew (our vanity and kitchen island smell very strongly of mildew). Yep! Due to hydrogen sulfide in the gas.
The bathroom vanity is on an inside wall, in the same location as the pre-remodel vanity. There is what I think is a vent pipe on the roof directly above the vanity wall.
The brand new vanity smells like it should in the morning - until we are up and about running water in the shower and/or around the house - then it smells. Hopefully, we can fix this problem before it gets REALLY bad like the kitchen island which may be beyond saving due to the smell.
We are trying to find someone to do a smoke test which, I believe, tests out the vent stacks. We will also research an AAV.
Thank you again for taking the time to share some great information with us!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You can tape over the sink drain and overflow holes to eliminate any sewer gas from backing up. If no odors it will give you the source of the odor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks