Manual versus automatic water addition for a steam system

Users who are viewing this thread

Bubbly

Reaction score
My existing series 67 low water cut off is not working. Before automatic fill units were used one simply manually maintained the proper water level using the sight glass. That being said would there be any problem for me to ignore the series 67 unit and simply maintain the proper water level manually/

Bob

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
As a certified unfired pressure vessel and low pressure boiler inspector I can assure you there is no need for an automatic feeder for a steam boiler

You do need an a low water cut off with a manual reset

If your going away on an extended trip make sure there is someone you can trust to fill the boiler as needed.

The problem with automatic feeders on steam systems is sometimes they fail in the open position (due to sediment) and you have water spewing out of air vents

Also a lot of people never bother to check their boilers during the heating season to make sure there are no leaks or other issues going on such as a failure of the high limit to operate

Bubbly

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. In that the series 67 unit currently on the boiler which I intend to leave on the boiler is identified as a "low water cut off" do I need to install a separate "low water cut off"?

Bob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks