Manual D Friction Rate Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremyt

Reaction score
Hello all. Its been a while.. I have finally decided to just tackle the HVAC design, fabrication and install on my own. Once I get past the design stage, I feel confident in making up all the ductwork, as well as getting the equipment installed and running. Currently I am designing a duct system for the second floor, which is two bedrooms, a bath and a hallway along with the stairs back down. I am planning on running a Mitsubishi SEZ-KD12NA4R1 for this area. It will be in the attic, along with associated ductwork coming down through the ceiling. This is one of three air handlers that will be installed. I started playing with the ACCA Manual D speed sheets last night and my Total Effective Length is an absurd amount. I was close to 400 feet I think? Obviously I am doing something wrong here. I have attached a screenshot, with blue being supply, and red being return air. Any advice and wisdom to share. Im sure I am just being dumb. Thank you all in advance..
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 12.10.17 PM.png

Fitter30

Reaction score
Think your air changes aren't enough, 10 cfm for a hallway can' t hardly feel it. A builders grade bathroom exhaust fan is 50 cfm. That air handler min air flow 247 @ 4k btu 388@ 12 k have u looked at heating btu and outdoor temps where the spec was written ductulator.com for duct sizing. Scroll down for air changes

Jeremyt

Reaction score
Think your air changes aren't enough, 10 cfm for a hallway can' t hardly feel it. A builders grade bathroom exhaust fan is 50 cfm. That air handler min air flow 247 @ 4k btu 388@ 12 k have u looked at heating btu and outdoor temps where the spec was written ductulator.com for duct sizing. Scroll down for air changes
Thank you for your reply. The CFM listed was what I calculated. I should have specified. That unit pushes 383 CFM, so I was going to put 80 CFM through the 4 bedroom registers, and 60 CFM through the combined bath and hall register… When I was doing the speed sheet yesterday, the results said that my blower isn’t big enough, but if I put more air changes in that would exacerbate the issue I’m having now, correct? I have more images I can upload to paint a clearer picture.

Jeremyt

Reaction score
I have attached the Manual J calculations, room by room as well as the block load numbers. I hope this helps clear up any questions. Thanks again for the help.
Second Floor Manual J and CFM by Room.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks