Mansfield Toilet Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Cbrace55

Reaction score
I have a Mansfield circa. 1981 toilet. I bought an OEM tank to bowl kit. It matched the toilet equipment perfectly.

3 bolts
3 flat metal washers
3 rubber washers

I was under the impression that a washer and nut were supposed to be between the tank and bowl. But original toilet was not configured as such and neither was the original kit. Can i just forego the washer and nut between tank and bowl.

20201114_154256.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Since you only have one set of nuts, the bolt goes through the tank to underneath the bowl. Use the rubber washers in the tank and the ss washers on the bowl. Be careful not to over tighten otherwise the tank can crack. When I have an extra set of washers and nuts, sometimes I install the bolts and nuts to the tank first to get a water tight seal, then install it on the bowl with the second set of nuts. Either way it works. A hint, when you tighten down the nuts, when the tank just hits the bowl, just a very slight turn evenly on the three nuts to snug it down to prevent the tank from rocking.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I've many times wallpapered or painted a bathroom and I'll remove the tank to do the wall behind it. One time I installed a bead board. It is easier and faster than cutting in around a tank and trying to work on the wall under the tank. I then re-install the tank with a new tank bolt set and I'll use the old nuts and ss washers as a second set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks