Main line clog

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Lamphere

Reaction score
I have an issue in new home on a slab. It was built in 2010 i am the first owner of the home. We have had constant clogs on the mainline and i have used chemicals to unclog it. I finally called a plumber to send a camera up the pipe and there were no obstructions in the line. He suggested that the pipe does not have enough drop to carry the solids out and the only fix it jackhammer out the whole line to fix the problem. The whole process leaves my home unusable as you can imagine as well as the inside tile floors and cabinets that have to be removed. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
He suggested that the pipe does not have enough drop to carry the solids out and the only fix it jackhammer out the whole line to fix the problem.
"He suggested" sounds vague. Did he measure, or was he speculating?

Consider taking more deep baths, or maybe hold the flush lever down during flushes to cause more water to be used. Throw food waste in the refuse bag rather than putting it down the garbage disposal. Minimize garbage disposal use.

We have had constant clogs on the mainline
I expect you are exaggerating. What is the real story?
i have used chemicals to unclog it.
Don't use chemicals. Do you have an outside cleanout? You might consider getting your own Clog Hog if your area is not frozen a lot. Less chance of injury than a big rotary cutter.
The whole process leaves my home unusable as you can imagine as well as the inside tile floors and cabinets that have to be removed.
You are implying that the bottom of the clog is under the house rather than under the yard. Is that what happens?

Last edited:

Stephen Lamphere

Reaction score

Consider taking more deep baths, or maybe hold the flush lever down during flushes to cause more water to be used. Throw food waste in the refuse bag rather than putting it down the garbage disposal. Minimize garbage disposal use.

Don't use chemicals. Do you have an outside cleanout? You might consider getting your own Clog Hog if your area is not frozen a lot. Less chance of injury than a big rotary cutter.

You are implying that the bottom of the clog is under the house rather than under the yard. Is that what happens?

Reaction score
I have an issue in new home on a slab.
Single floor bungalow? Or second floor with bath up there? You did not say. We can't guess for you.
I finally called a plumber to send a camera up the pipe and there were no obstructions in the line.
Up which pipe? From where did you insert the camera, and what path did it take? You did not say. We can't guess for you.
He suggested that the pipe does not have enough drop to carry the solids out
What is the distance of this drop? Where does what carry out from? You have a kitchen upstairs with a disposer grinding up solids, or a toilet with big poo that keeps getting stuck? You did not say. We can't guess for you.
the only fix it jackhammer out the whole line to fix the problem.
What is the diameter of this DWV pipe? Did you verify without a doubt it meets what is required by California code? You did not say. We can't guess for you.
The whole process leaves my home unusable as you can imagine as well as the inside tile floors and cabinets that have to be removed.
This may be the best route for you. You asked for a suggestion, and that one will surely fix things.

This is like reading those automotive troubleshooting forums "My red car won't start" and then the owner gets all fussy when enthusiatsts asks for VINs.

Stephen Lamphere

Reaction score

The plumber was able to scope one side of the house and all the way to the cesspool. He was not able to see where the other side of the house connects into the mainline out to the cesspool. He scoped the other side and ran into what appeared an end. I'm
Single floor bungalow? Or second floor with bath up there? You did not say. We can't guess for you.

Up which pipe? From where did you insert the camera, and what path did it take? You did not say. We can't guess for you.

What is the distance of this drop? Where does what carry out from? You have a kitchen upstairs with a disposer grinding up solids, or a toilet with big poo that keeps getting stuck? You did not say. We can't guess for you.

What is the diameter of this DWV pipe? Did you verify without a doubt it meets what is required by California code? You did not say. We can't guess for you.

This may be the best route for you. You asked for a suggestion, and that one will surely fix things.

This is like reading those automotive troubleshooting forums "My red car won't start" and then the owner gets all fussy when enthusiatsts asks for VINs.

Talked to the plumber in depth regarding the camera and he had a clear view from one side of the house all the way to the cesspool and the other he ran into an area where the camera would not make the corner therefore we believe that there is a 90 instead of a sweep. Going to call the original plumber and see what he will do for us. Should have never passed inspection.

Reach4

Reaction score
The plumber was able to scope one side of the house and all the way to the cesspool.
Having read "Main Line, I had thought you were on sewer system.

Did the plumber use the term septic or cesspool? I don't think they would have used a cesspool in 2010.

How many days did it take to get a new clog after getting a clog removed? Presuming that you have a septic tank, how long has it been since that was pumped?

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so, stop using it.

Stephen Lamphere

Reaction score
degree Reach4, post: 483207, member: 61511"]Having read "Main Line, I had thought you were on sewer system.

Did the plumber use the term septic or cesspool? I don't think they would have used a cesspool in 2010.

How many days did it take to get a new clog after getting a clog removed? Presuming that you have a septic tank, how long has it been since that was pumped?

Do you have a garbage disposal? If so, stop using it.[/QUOTE]
I live in Hawaii I have a cesspool and the clog is before the Disposal. I believe now that it's possibly 90 degree elbo used instead of a sweep. The camera could not make the corner so it could be a 90.

Reaction score
Those flushable wipes are not really flushable.
The problem with these is that they are TOUGH like workshop J-cloths.

Baby wipes stay forever moist in their containers without breaking down. That means they stay that way in your DWV pipes as well.

Pipes with scaling, rust, tree roots, will have wipes cling to them like crazy.

People forget that something small and thin like hair can cause clogs. Now imagine a giant piece of cloth that won't break down?

alicew

barbie
Reaction score
Website
www.elkhartirrigation.com
Have you ever used hydro-mechanical drain cleaners as the name implies they are their eco-friendliness. Still I haven't used it but yes heard so suggested also it has the ability to dislodge and remove clogs like sand or cat litter that 'back-fill when using a conventional snake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks