loud low humming noise associated with outside irrigation systems

Users who are viewing this thread

GregGB

Reaction score
I hope someone can point me in the right directon. Every time the irrigation system comes on we get a low loud humming noise in our house. After we turn off the system the sound remains. It is not constant, it will start softly and gradually, reach its peak noise level and then subside, continuing for some time.

Also, at the same time, I can turn on our first floor bath faucet and replicate the sound immediately. I can only replicate the sound if the the humming noise took place within the same general time period from the irrigation system.

Tonight, I turned on the sprinkler system and turned on the bath faucet at the same time. I then turned off the sprinkler system and then turned off the bath fauet and got the sound in a louder version. Every time I turned on the bath faucet the sound subsided somewhat and when I turned it back off the sound got louder. After doing this routine about 4 times the sound dissappeared entirely.

We are also beginning to get a low much quieter humming noise from the water line to our fridge. It is not constant at all and no indicator of why it comes and goes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
GregGB said:
I hope someone can point me in the right directon. Every time the irrigation system comes on we get a low loud humming noise in our house. After we turn off the system the sound remains. It is not constant, it will start softly and gradually, reach its peak noise level and then subside, continuing for some time.

Also, at the same time, I can turn on our first floor bath faucet and replicate the sound immediately. I can only replicate the sound if the the humming noise took place within the same general time period from the irrigation system.

Tonight, I turned on the sprinkler system and turned on the bath faucet at the same time. I then turned off the sprinkler system and then turned off the bath fauet and got the sound in a louder version. Every time I turned on the bath faucet the sound subsided somewhat and when I turned it back off the sound got louder. After doing this routine about 4 times the sound dissappeared entirely.

We are also beginning to get a low much quieter humming noise from the water line to our fridge. It is not constant at all and no indicator of why it comes and goes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sounds like it may be a bad PRV (pressure reducing valve). Have someone create the sound and see if the valve is making the sound. It should be located within the first 10' of where the water comes in your house.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your problem is most likely due to low water pressure. If you have a pressure regulator (PRV), you can try adjusting that. If you don't have one, or adjusting it doesn't work, you can try watering at different times to find a time period when your neighbors aren't using a lot of water. The middle of the night might be the best time to have your sprinklers go on.

Another possibility is that you have a loose washer somewhere in the system. A loose washer will vibrate rapidly and cause a humming sound. It could be in one of the sprinkler valves, shutoff valves, or even one of the toilet fill valves. It could also be in your PRV, as Cass suggested.

Here's a link to info about PRV's:

http://www.greatervernon.ca/index.php?p=2.033

Last edited:

GregGB

Reaction score
low humming noise

Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate the help. I will have a plumber out and make the suggestions you guys made! Thanks again!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks