Looking for ideas, air in system

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
Sprinkler use only, pump start relay recently installed, pressure switch and tank removed. Filter is for a silt problem. Last year the system ran at 35psi, now I'm getting 22-25psi (zone dependent I believe).
When the system is running, I can hear air spurts coming out of the heads. Tonight I cleaned the filter as half of it was silt. When running, the filter canister would be half full of air, purging would remove the air, but it comes back.
If there was a leak after the pump, I would have a spray/drip of water instead of it sucking air, correct? That would mean there's an leak on the intake side, that's my thought anyway. The intake hasn't changed in 2 years, so I don't know where to begin looking, that's why I ask you guys.
I don't think the well is out of water, it acts the same from initial start to end of cycle (5 zones, half hour for each zone). Pictures for you to pondering pleasure. Any other info will be provided.

Attachments

• 20190719_210637.jpg
    20190719_210637.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190719_201451.jpg
    20190719_201451.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20190719_201441.jpg
    20190719_201441.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 157

Reach4

Reaction score
Your analysis is good.
Try searching for
index.php
in the search box above.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I have a similar set up. I too hear air but it eventually quits after a few minutes. It’s just air in the lines from the pump to the heads from sitting a few days. The water slowly drains from the heads and the line is totally empty. Then the next time the pump starts, the air has to get driven out before the water flows freely. Kinda like when you drain house lines to do a repair. Then you turn a faucet on and it’s all air, then water and air, then finally just water. Nothing to worry about.

Yar02169

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, that's a great idea. Now, when I find a leak, do I just slather the area with PVC cement, some other glue, or is it a cut and replace type of thing?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, that's a great idea. Now, when I find a leak, do I just slather the area with PVC cement, some other glue, or is it a cut and replace type of thing?
Sucking primer followed by sucking a mix of dissolved PVC and cement may be good. "Heavy duty" pvc cement may be just that. I think I have read about that. Sucking quick-setting epoxy might be good. I am not sure how you get a steady vacuum going. Temporarily enlisting a vacuum pump sounds good. A way that keeps the pump pumping during the treatment could generate a vacuum for a period.

The reason I used the graphic rather than spelling it out was to avoid people searching for the term finding a bunch of recommendations for people to search for the term.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could also look into Leak-B-Gone rings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks