Leak at Plastic Barb Fitting to Poly Line *pic inside*

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbyE

Reaction score
Hey guys, I Finally got around to installing a sink in my detached shop. The water line was already ran by the previous owner and exits through the basement wall via black poly pipe. I turned the water on and checked for leaks, I noticed a VERY VERY slow leak at the threads of where the plastic barb fitting threads into the metal elbow. And when I say slow, I mean it doesn’t drip just accumulated in the thread. See pic below to see the area where the leak is. This has likely been installed and leaking like this for many many years unnoticed. What would you guys recommend I do? I’d prefer not to disturb the barb side since it is not leaking, and worry if I do I will create another leak lol. Kind of tight quarters as well. Can I possible just tighten the plastic fitting a little bit? Is there any sort of silicone sealants I can apply at the face of the metal elbow?Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 2876D82F-A091-428B-A3F3-ABDEB69EF63D.jpeg
    2876D82F-A091-428B-A3F3-ABDEB69EF63D.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 159

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think applying something at the outside will do it. I think you need to either give that elbow another turn (which involves some disconnecting, or replace that barbed fitting, and replace the leaky joint.

But maybe I am wrong. Is there a hex on that nylon fitting? Maybe you could turn off the pump, release pressure, heat the poly over the fitting, and turn the fitting.

Last edited:

BobbyE

Reaction score
I don't think applying something at the outside will do it. I think you need to either give that elbow another turn (which involves some disconnecting, or replace that barbed fitting, and replace the leaky joint.
Well the leak is at the plastic threads that thread into the metal elbow. The elbow itself isn’t leaking at any connections

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the elbow is equal partners with the barbed fitting in a threaded joint.

While turning the elbow would be hard, it seems more practical than turning the barbed fitting.

BobbyE

Reaction score
It looks to me as if the elbow is equal partners with the barbed fitting in a threaded joint.

While turning the elbow would be hard, it seems more practical than turning the barb
I took a better picture from straight on but the server won’t upload it. Maybe the picture makes it looks like the view is vertical, but there is no way to turn the elbow to tighten the joint at the plastic barb

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd just try tightening the barb or remove clean and re dope perhaps replace both 90, barb, the short piece of poly . I'd only want to do it once and its a simple job

Reach4

Reaction score
I'd just try tightening the barb or remove clean and re dope perhaps replace both 90, barb, the short piece of poly . I'd only want to do it once and its a simple job
That sounds good. I did not get an answer to " Is there a hex on that nylon fitting?"

I guess you think there is such a hex. Even with a hex, I am wondering if you could get enough torque to turn the fitting, since you are working against the force the pipe holds (even tho the worm gear clamp is loosened, and the big NPT thread.

Replacing the short piece of poly is not practical -- that is coming from underground from a different building.

BobbyE

Reaction score
That sounds good. I did not get an answer to " Is there a hex on that nylon fitting?"

I guess you think there is such a hex. Even with a hex, I am wondering if you could get enough torque to turn the fitting, since you are working against the force the pipe holds (even tho the worm gear clamp is loosened, and the big NPT thread.

Replacing the short piece of poly is not practical -- that is coming from underground from a different building.
Yes, I dont want to disturb the black poly/barb connection if possible since it is not leaking. I was thinking to make a cut in the horizontal run of copper, and then unthread the elbow still connected to the cut piece of copper while holding the plastic barb fitting by the hex so it doesn't move. Then apply new tape and sealant to the threads on the plastic barb, reinstalled the elbow with copper and then use the SharkBite you referenced to repair the cut in the copper. This way im not disturbing the barb/black poly connection since I dont have much real-estate there since it runs underground. From the looks of the threads on the plastic barb, I dont think any Teflon tape nor sealant was used during the original install.Thoughts?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, I dont want to disturb the black poly/barb connection if possible since it is not leaking. I was thinking to make a cut in the horizontal run of copper, and then unthread the elbow still connected to the cut piece of copper while holding the plastic barb fitting by the hex so it doesn't move. Then apply new tape and sealant to the threads on the plastic barb, reinstalled the elbow with copper and then use the SharkBite you referenced to repair the cut in the copper. This way im not disturbing the barb/black poly connection since I dont have much real-estate there since it runs underground. From the looks of the threads on the plastic barb, I dont think any Teflon tape nor sealant was used during the original install.Thoughts?
It looked naked to me as well I thought I saw a hex to grip. thought it was a short piece of poly if not I totaly understand not wanting to disturb that side

BobbyE

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
How hard was it to pull the old barb from the poly? Typically you heat the poly before inserting the new barb. Safest is boiling water, then heat gun, and finally flame is the one you can do damage with most easily.

When you put the new barb in, use two worm gear clamps with the gears on opposite sides of the pipe.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok whatever works a second hose clamp good idea for sure. brass 90 prefered no galvinized

BobbyE

Reaction score
How hard was it to pull the old barb from the poly? Typically you heat the poly before inserting the new barb. Safest is boiling water, then heat gun, and finally flame is the one you can do damage with most easily.

When you put the new barb in, use two worm gear clamps with the gears on opposite sides of the pipe.
it was definitely in there, but I was able to get it out with just a bit of movement and pulling. I will likely use a heat gun to slightly soften the poly for the new barb.

BobbyE

Reaction score
@Reach4 got it all done. Went smoothly. Used blue monster tape and Tru Blu sealant on the barb threads. Heated the poly slightly with my heat gun, and the barb went it nice and firmly. Got both clamps tightened while it was still warm. The shark bite slip joint also worked great. Here are some pics of the finished product. Thanks for all your help and everyone else!

10D6ED1E-D4B4-451C-AA0C-53736823C4C2.jpeg

0B732552-DA3C-49EB-8DA1-D3E8C91F52C7.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks