Lead tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

floridaremodel

Reaction score
Just took out a tub in 1950's Florida home and the tub drain isn't in correct place for new standard tub. Two plumber's have told me that the floor needs to be jack-hammered up and the lead drain pipe to the main drain needs to be replaced with PVC. Through the current hole in the slab you can see the lead trap and about 6 inches of the drain on its way to the main. Question is: can't you tap into the visible 6 inches of lead drain pipe and run new PVC trap and tub drain, or should i have the floor broken up and replace the entire length of the lead tub drain? Tub drain to main is about 6 feet. Thanks.

onezee20

Master plumber and Bathtub Befinisher.
Reaction score
Website
www.plumberindenver.com
Here's what I have done if the lead is 1-1/2"

I have cut a 1-1/2" piece off of a 1-1/2" brass flanged tail piece.Cut off the 1-1/2" from the flange side.Then bang it in gently inside the piece of lead.

Then you can use an 1-1/2" No-HUB band to go from the lead to the pvc.
The band will not crush the lead because it will be supported by the tailpiece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks