Lake irrigation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmathis

Reaction score
New to this forum. Trying to figure out the following. I live on Kentucky Lake in TN, we have a permit with our boat dock for irrigation from the lake. Problem is the house is about 1000 feet from the water and the rise in elevation is from 359' to 580'. looking for suggestions on pipe size, pump size? this will be run by the appropriate size wiring according to local codes. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jimmy

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
New to this forum. Trying to figure out the following. I live on Kentucky Lake in TN, we have a permit with our boat dock for irrigation from the lake. Problem is the house is about 1000 feet from the water and the rise in elevation is from 359' to 580'. looking for suggestions on pipe size, pump size? this will be run by the appropriate size wiring according to local codes. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jimmy
So, the lake is at 359' and the house is at 580' for a lift of 221' right? Oh, and how many GPM's do you want to irrigate with?

Jmathis

Reaction score
So, the lake is at 359' and the house is at 580' for a lift of 221' right? Oh, and how many GPM's do you want to irrigate with?
Correct on the footage of rise, I would guess not more than 10gpm. Most of the irrigation will be low pressure like drip irrigation but i also would like to water the lawn in areas that would require at least 10 gpm .

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lifting 221' is about the same as 100 PSI. Adding the 50 PSI you need for sprinklers, you will need a pump that can do 10 GPM at 150 PSI. That is going to take a 10 GPM, 1.5HP submersible. I would use 1 1/4" 250# poly pipe and #6 copper wire. Up at the house I would use a PK1A-10 kit set for 40/60 and 50 PSI constant to control the pump. Oh, and make sure the pump has a flow sleeve and a good check valve.

Jmathis

Reaction score
Lifting 221' is about the same as 100 PSI. Adding the 50 PSI you need for sprinklers, you will need a pump that can do 10 GPM at 150 PSI. That is going to take a 10 GPM, 1.5HP submersible. I would use 1 1/4" 250# poly pipe and #6 copper wire. Up at the house I would use a PK1A-10 kit set for 40/60 and 50 PSI constant to control the pump. Oh, and make sure the pump has a flow sleeve and a good check valve.
Valveman, thank you so much. I have a 2 horse Grundfos that I was planning on using.

Reach4

Reaction score
A submersible pump would be twice as efficient. If you can safely put a submersible into a flow inducer sleeve, that will be good. That sleeve is basically a piece of PVC.

Pressure is in psi. So if you want to run an impact sprinkler, you will need more pressure up top.

When running power to the pump, you should decide if you want to put some outlets for shore power, while you are at it. If you just power the pump, that 1000 ft run could be smaller wire probably. My initial estimate is that you would need 10 awg copper for the run if you can use a 1/2 hp 240 volt motor. If you use a jet pump, you will a lot more power and bigger wire.

In using the pump, you may trade gpm for pressure. In other words, to drive the drip emitters, you could pull a lot more gpm than if you were driving that impact sprinkler that might want 60 psi.

I don't know if you could run just 2 wires to the dock, or if you would also need to run a ground wire too.

Jmathis

Reaction score
A submersible pump would be twice as efficient. If you can safely put a submersible into a flow inducer sleeve, that will be good. That sleeve is basically a piece of PVC.

Pressure is in psi. So if you want to run an impact sprinkler, you will need more pressure up top.

When running power to the pump, you should decide if you want to put some outlets for shore power, while you are at it. If you just power the pump, that 1000 ft run could be smaller wire probably. My initial estimate is that you would need 10 awg copper for the run if you can use a 1/2 hp 240 volt motor. If you use a jet pump, you will a lot more power and bigger wire.

In using the pump, you may trade gpm for pressure. In other words, to drive the drip emitters, you could pull a lot more gpm than if you were driving that impact sprinkler that might want 60 psi.

I don't know if you could run just 2 wires to the dock, or if you would also need to run a ground wire too.
Thanks reach4, plan on running wire enough for extra outlets, etc.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Wiring to a boat dock for outlets, lighting, bonding and grounding has serious code requirements, meaning for safety. I know it is not your question but do look into it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks