Keeney Cable Driven Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Shanner Drake

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum, but I want to thank everyone as I have read numerous posts over the years that have been extremely helpful.

I was hoping for some help with a drain issue. I have a Keeney Cable Driven drain system that is about 6-7 years old. When I turn the nob at the overflow I feel resistance and hear the cable moving, but the pad that raises and lowers the plug does not move. It is stuck in the down position so I have to pull the drain stop out to get the tub to drain.

I emailed Keeney a bunch of questions and their response was remarkably not helpful. They said “we do not have replacement parts or a guide for repairing our drain” then copied a link to their installation video.

From what I’ve read, there doesn’t seem to be much I can do besides replace the drain assembly which would require accessing the back and bottom of the tub.

There is a fairly wide brass screw/bolt that is hollow in the middle that allows the stop to slide through. This bolt is what compresses the strainer and the plumbing.

One of the ideas I had was maybe trying to find a pop up drain that could potentially thread through the strainer and the plumbing but I’m not sure I’d be able to match the thread size and length with a pop up.

I am probably grasping at straws here but was hoping someone had an idea!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I opened up the working end on a couple different cable drains, which would require opening the ceiling on your end and maybe being able to replace a part that may or may not be available.. and may just cause a leak. The only time I've had one of those drains fail, was when the tile installer washed his grout in our tub.

This is a drain that I think you could get to work without having to take apart the existing drain.

Watco NuFit Lift and Turn. 48400 or something similar. The kit linked has a brass threaded adapter that maybe could be epoxied into the shaft of the cable drain.. or the flange can be siliconed to the existing flange as shown in the helpful video

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks