Jet Pump losing prime with new foot valve after sitting 4 -5 hrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
Texas Wellman
I am going crazy trying to figure why I keep losing prime on the Jet pump
I installed the new foot valve, and ejector, without that spring dog, using a neoprene packer instead of the leather packers, installed new neoprene seal for the flange adapter, and new flange gasket
I made sure surfaces were clean on both pump and adapter.
I filled the suction pipe all the way to the top of the flange adaptor, and let it sit over night
to see if the water level was dropping, this morning I checked and water was still at the top,
So I know its all good below the flange adapter into the well,
I thought great! mounted the Jet pump
tightened the 2 bolts evenly, and primed the pump, had good pressure 65 psi,
so I turned off the pump and later this evening after 5 hours passed I turned on the pump
No darn water, I had rebuilt this pump, new seal, new gaskets. It losing prime somewhere
I'm at a loss to figure this out, Hope you might have an idea why I keep losing prime.
I have attached picture of the flange adaptor and pump.
this is the second attempt on figuring out the prime issue, I even pulled the suction pipe and tightened the neoprene packer so it was a tighter fit in the well casing. this is a 2 inch well
Unless I am losing prime at the flange adaptor gasket? its almost as if the pump is leaking ??
as I pointed out the water stayed all night on top of the flange adaptor pipe where the 1 1/4 suction pipe is screwed in

Attachments

• flange.jpeg
    flange.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 857
  • pump.jpeg
    pump.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 868

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
I can't see from the picture but is there a check valve above ground or is the footvalve the only check valve?
No there is only a foot valve beneath the ejector, I am including a picture of the foot valve, ejector, rubber packer, and spring dog( that 4 finger device
which I decided not to use, As I mentioned I filled the suction pipe with water all the way to the top of the flange adaptor and let it sit overnight
to see if it was leaking down,, as you know there is about a one inch neoprene gasket between lower flange and upper that seals the 2 inch casing to the pump, other than the pump I cant see where else I would be losing prime?
I even thought about putting a check valve on the output of the pump, which I have never seen.
Note, I included a picture of assy with spring dog, but decided not to use, the picture on the right is what's in the well now down at 53 feet,
Dennis

Attachments

• Foot valve, ejector assy.jpg
    Foot valve, ejector assy.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Foot Valve, ejector, rubbber packer assy.jpg
    Foot Valve, ejector, rubbber packer assy.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,090

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
You don't want a check valve after the pump, so the pressure tank can back feed to keep the pump primed.
Ok. However I do not have a pressure tank. This is a sprinkler pump. Would adding a pressure tank help. The output of the pump goes to the pressure regulator which is attached direct to the pump then index valve then sprinklers.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a built-in check valve in your jet (poppet valve) but I would add a footvalve anyways. You definitely need a tank with that type of pump. STA Rite MSE"s are notorious for losing prime, especially when not used with the backpressure from a tank.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Then if you have a pressure tank, you will need a pressure switch, and do away with the pump start relay in your sprinkler controller. Otherwise when the pump start relay turns off the pump, the pressure tank and lines will drain out.

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
There is a built-in check valve in your jet (poppet valve) but I would add a footvalve anyways. You definitely need a tank with that type of pump. STA Rite MSE"s are notorious for losing prime, especially when not used with the backpressure from a tank.
Hi Texas Wellman,
My jet doesn't have a poppet valve I just have the foot valve

I don't have the poppet valve on my ejector (jet) just the foot valve instead as shown,
where can I get info on installing a pressure tank.
I am enclosing a picture of the current well setup,
Thanks very much for your help!

Attachments

• Foot Valve, ejector, rubbber packer assy.jpg
    Foot Valve, ejector, rubbber packer assy.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 711
  • Jet pump.jpg
    Jet pump.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 697

Dennis Sigala

Reaction score
Then if you have a pressure tank, you will need a pressure switch, and do away with the pump start relay in your sprinkler controller. Otherwise when the pump start relay turns off the pump, the pressure tank and lines will drain out.
Valveman, thanks for your info
I am attaching a photo of the well, My well does not have a digital controller.
its the old mechanical timer using index valve for 6 stations,
There a pressure switch on the pump which now goes to to the pressure regulator as you can see in the photo
based on what you see where would the pressure tank go? Im going to give a call to my irrigation supplier and try and get some info.
Thanks to you and Texas Wellman for all your help.
Dennis

Attachments

• Jet pump.jpg
    Jet pump.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 600

Chris Steinhauer

Reaction score
Terry,

I just stumbled across your post and have to comment. I had the same issue two years ago and was able to fix because I had a spring dog style injector packer. After finding the leak in the casing, which in my case was at the final seam where they are screwed together I was able to raise that injector above the seam and have a drop pipe with foot valve at the bottom. My valve is only nine feet down however still provided enough extra lift to pull the water from a static water line of 22ft. U am writing you because I would love to know where I can get another one of those style injectors?? I have been told by local "experts" they no longer exist but when I did a search for 2" spring dog well injector Google pops up your name,post and what appears to be a picture of a new injector. My phone number is 4077027445 and If you get this message would you please give me a call? Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks