Is there a reasonably priced soft start control for a typical single phase motor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockwind1

Reaction score
Thanks to Reach and Cary,, I've been looking at VFD's and regular pumps for my 2 wells I just drilled.

for my particular application,, i don't think a VFD is really necessary but the soft start seems like a huge benefit. I've installed a couple of soft start electronic units on some 1.5 hp AC units. i am wondering why i can't find any soft start controls for a regular 1.5 hp pump,, just seems to make sense it will last longer.

does anyone know of a soft start system for a typical 1.5 hp franklin motor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Soft starters for HVAC maybe a good idea, but not for submersible pumps. A submersible motor has to be at least up to 50% speed before there is any lubrication for the thrust bearing. The longer it takes to get to speed, the more damage is done to the bearing. A reduced voltage soft start will not effect the speed, only the amount of torque. You can make a reduced voltage starter by simply using the longest length of the smaller wire possible for a 1.5 HP pump. Using 190' of #14 wire will cause a 5% voltage drop at load. This will cause there to be 20% less starting current and 36% less torque on start up, and is all the soft start you need.

Also, soft start is not important if you are not starting the pump over and over. Using a Cycle Stop Valve limits the number of starts so much that how you start is no longer important. Soft start is only important if the pump is starting 100-300 times per day. But then eliminating the cycling on off would be the solution, not a soft starter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks