Is the stinky smell by the bathroom from the septic tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
We bought a mobile home, put it on some land we bought, had a septic tank put in and have been living in it for 2 years. I keep smelling a strange smell by my smallest bathroom wall. I started reading up on it and found out it might be a crack in the wall pipe that vents the drain lines. The article said go on the roof and pour peppermint oil in the roof vent pipe, go inside the house and if you smell peppermint oil in the house, you might have a crack in the pipe or it might be not fitting snug. Well no smell!

Question, if I go outside where the clean out cap is and take it off, if the odor is coming from gases from the septic tank, would they come out of this clean out before making it into the house? I have noticed my eyes don't burn, but are always crusty in the mornings
frowning.gif
Not even sure if I just have a stinky bathroom. I smell it under the sink some too.

Please help with any suggestions or advice. I can't take the smell anymore.

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
We bought a mobile home, put it on some land we bought, had a septic tank put in and have been living in it for 2 years. I keep smelling a strange smell by my smallest bathroom wall. I started reading up on it and found out it might be a crack in the wall pipe that vents the drain lines. The article said go on the roof and pour peppermint oil in the roof vent pipe, go inside the house and if you smell peppermint oil in the house, you might have a crack in the pipe or it might be not fitting snug. Well no smell!

Question, if I go outside where the clean out cap is and take it off, if the odor is coming from gases from the septic tank, would they come out of this clean out before making it into the house? I have noticed my eyes don't burn, but are always crusty in the mornings
frowning.gif
Not even sure if I just have a stinky bathroom. I smell it under the sink some too.

Please help with any suggestions or advice. I can't take the smell anymore.
Here is the hallway where I smell it, the plumbing under the sink and the drain outside cap I ask if I should open or not to let gases out (if that is what it is). Thank You!!!!

Attachments

• 20151121_111835.jpg
    20151121_111835.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 20151121_111901.jpg
    20151121_111901.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 695
  • 20151121_112015.jpg
    20151121_112015.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 582

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe that goes straight up in the cabinet might have an air admittance valve (AAV)on it at the top. The AAV is designed to allow air into the system but not let sewer gas escape into the home. Sometimes they go bad. It could be where the sewer odor is coming in.

To test this theory you can put a plastic bag over the AAV. Then put a rubber band over the top and down onto the pipe. If this is the source of the sewer odor, the bag with the rubber band over it should seal it up. If that does solve the odor problem you will need to remove the bag and replace the AAV.

If you open the clean out it may release most of the odor at that point , but it is not fixing the problem.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to use the "Studor" brand AAV they cost more but last a lot longer. For your sink you would need a Studor mini vent.
Studor Mini Vent.jpg

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
Found it!! I hope it's the answer. That would be an easy fix. I'll let you know. Going to cover the ones in the master bathroom too. I smell odors sometimes in there too.

How often are these usually replaced? Like the kind I have now?

Attachments

• PIPE.jpg
    PIPE.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 559
  • PIPE2.jpg
    PIPE2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 548

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
AAVs must be installed in an accessible location because they can and do fail. The type you have a has a cheap rubber seal that can become distorted over time. It mostly depends on how noxious the fumes are in your vent system. Bleach and other chemicals that produce caustic fumes can cause them to deteriorate more quickly. The studor brand AAV is made different and last a lot longer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1-1-2-in-or-2-in-PVC-Mini-Vent-Adapter-20341/202275238

http://www.lowes.com/pd_29145-143-82678K___?Ntt=mini+vent&UserSearch=mini+vent&productId=1081741

Last edited:

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
AAVs must be installed in an accessible location because they can and do fail. The type you have a has a cheap rubber seal that can become distorted over time. It mostly depends on how noxious the fumes are in your vent system. Bleach and other chemicals that produce caustic fumes can cause them to deteriorate more quickly. The studor brand AAV is made different and last a lot longer.
Is it possible these vents are in other places in the mobile home like for the shower or the big tub we have? I don't see any, but could they be in the walls? I looked at the booklet that came with the home and no mention of these vents anywhere or how to care for them. The reason I ask is because I looked up the vent you suggested buying and on the webpage it mentioned showers and toilets.

Thanks again,
Gayle

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may have the AAV's on other fixtures too.
You can't bag the AAV. It needs to breath. It pulls in air to prevent the trap from siphoning.
If the trap siphons, you have a direct line to the septic. My parents mobile home on their ranch property also had a failed AAV in their Master bath.
It was pretty bad. :(

The tub and showers may have their own AAV's, or they may be depending on the lav's.

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
You may have the AAV's on other fixtures too.
You can't bag the AAV. It needs to breath. It pulls in air to prevent the trap from siphoning.
If the trap siphons, you have a direct line to the septic. My parents mobile home on their ranch property also had a failed AAV in their Master bath.
It was pretty bad. :(

The tub and showers may have their own AAV's, or they may be depending on the lav's.
I bagged 3 of them. One in the extra bath and 2 in the master bathroom. Is that ok until I see if the odor stops or should I take the bags off of the ones in the master until I check the others? I sure do appreciate all your help in this matter.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bag is to just do a short test, it is not a repair. You should notice the odor going away wihin a few minutes especially if you air out the place by opening the window etc. If you run water and leave the bags on the traps will siphon dry and then sewer odor will come from the drains. Just bag it to see if the odor gets better in that area and then you know that paticular AAV is a problem and should be replaced. If there is a vent pipe sticking out the roof then not everthing is using a AAV. You should be able to find studor vents at most hardware stores for around $25.00.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bags need to come off. If the AAV is bad, it needs to be replaced.
A bagged AAV can allow the p-trap under the lav (sink) to siphon.
It's okay to bag just to see if the smell goes away for testing purposes, but there have a reason to be there.

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
The bags need to come off. If the AAV is bad, it needs to be replaced.
A bagged AAV can allow the p-trap under the lav (sink) to siphon.
It's okay to bag just to see if the smell goes away for testing purposes, but there have a reason to be there.
OK...thanks so much. You definitely seem to have experience with mobile home plumbing. If this doesn't work I thought of cutting a access hole in the ceiling to see if the smell is in the attic area. I have no way of getting into the attic right now other then cutting an access hole in the ceiling and going up there. I hope this takes care of it, but if not, I need a plan B LOL.

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
Covering the vents with plastic didn't eliminate the strange smell coming from the hallway close to the bathroom. Today I'm going to take off the clean out pipe cap and see it that helps.

Attachments

• clean out cap.jpg
    clean out cap.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 466

Reach4

Reaction score
Covering the vents with plastic didn't eliminate the strange smell coming from the hallway close to the bathroom. Today I'm going to take off the clean out pipe cap and see it that helps.
I presume that cleanout cap is outdoors.

While it seems unlikely that will help, this test would be very informative if it did. Good idea.

Gayle Sil

Reaction score
I presume that cleanout cap is outdoors.

While it seems unlikely that will help, this test would be very informative if it did. Good idea.
The cap is outside. I'm hoping to find out if septic tank gas is causing the smell. Trying everything I can before calling a plumber.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might also note whether or not the smell downwind of that open cleanout is the same as the smell you detect indoors.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The tank is full, You did not use Rid-X, and you poop to much.:D

Welcome to Terry's Forum.

Some types of paper stack up in the tank.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks