Is Offset Toilet Flange Problematic And Should Be Avoided? Or OK To Use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to be installing a toilet in our bathroom remodel / retrofit.

This previous thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ax-ring-on-a-toilet-with-a-offset-flange.651/ discussed a wax ring sealing problem with the offset flange, and I didn't quite understand the situation and why it required a "fix".

Question: If I use an offset flange (Sioux Chief ABS) will I encounter problems such as in the other thread? If so, how do I avoid problems with the fitting, or should I just try to use it only as an absolute last resort?

I guess the bottom line is: Will a toilet with a standard wax ring seal correctly with an offset flange?

Thanks so much in advance for the help, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Bluegrass Picker

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, there are good offset flanges, and bad design ones. The bad ones look sort of like a bowl, an acceptable one looks more like an angular fitting. The bad ones tend to have a non-round opening, making it tough to seal with a standard wax ring, while an acceptable one is essentially round on the top and will seal fine. To get a seal with a 'bad' one, you often need more than one wax ring, cut the first, patch in some wax from the second one to fit around the oval.

Reaction score
First, there are good offset flanges, and bad design ones. The bad ones look sort of like a bowl, an acceptable one looks more like an angular fitting. The bad ones tend to have a non-round opening, making it tough to seal with a standard wax ring, while an acceptable one is essentially round on the top and will seal fine. To get a seal with a 'bad' one, you often need more than one wax ring, cut the first, patch in some wax from the second one to fit around the oval.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I think I might have one of the good ones, but could you or someone please confirm?

This is the Sioux Chief 889-AOM

889-aom.jpg

Thanks very much.

Bluegrass Picker

Reach4

Reaction score
Question: If I use an offset flange (Sioux Chief ABS) will I encounter problems such as in the other thread? If so, how do I avoid problems with the fitting, or should I just try to use it only as an absolute last resort?

I guess the bottom line is: Will a toilet with a standard wax ring seal correctly with an offset flange?

You should be fine with one of these: http://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/offset-flange/fullflush

They can pass a 3-inch ball.

The idea of using a waxless seal can be useful for the less experienced person who might not get things positioned right initially.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks