Is my well water suitable for trees/garden/flowers/etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
I am curious if my well water is suitable for irrigation. Before you answer this question, please note that we've been using it for 16 years and it mostly seems to be OK. However, I do feel like there are some plants that might not like it. Most of flowers and garden seems happy. But it feels like new trees are not thrilled with it. Particularly pine. Spruce do OK with it.

pH = 8.6
Conductivity = 651 uS/cm
Sodium = 148.6 mg/L
Potassium = 0.34 mg/L
Calcium = 2.88 mg/L
Magnesium = 0.49 mg/L
Total Hardness (CaCO3) = 9.2 mg/L
Iron = 0
Total alkalinity (CaC03) = 273.8 mg/L
Carbonate = 15.5 mg/L
Bicarbonate = 302.7 mg/L
Hydroxide = 0
Chloride = 3.2 mg/L
Floride = 6.5 mg/L
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Sulfate = 44 mg/L
TDS = 370.29 mg/L

If there are problems with this water for irrigation, I would like to understand what they are. I know the SAR is bad, but I haven't noted any problems with water percolating through the soil. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask these questions, but I suspect someone may know.

CenterTree

Reaction score
Ran a Landscape business for 20 years. Looks to me like there would be not much from your H2O analysis that would be detrimental to plants...
Except the PH level. It is high for a lot of landscape shrubs. Azaleas, Rhodos, Hemlock, Fir, Pines, (Spruce would be similar) Blueberry, Holly, Hydrangea, Camellias etc,, these type need a low PH. 8.5 is high for them. However, some plants do like higher PH, flowers/grass should be OK with it.

There is PH lowering additives for soil and trees. Get some products at the Big Box store that contains Sulphur (granular) and sprinkle around tress root spread area. Follow label for amount. Also if you prefer a more natural product, get some called Holly Tone. Smells good too!

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you. Would there be anything I could add to the water to lower it's pH before it leaves the house? Even my RO water has very high pH. Or am I better off to sulphur granulars then try to do anything with the water?

Reach4

Reaction score
Even my RO water has very high pH.
That's not normal. RO water usually has a pH below 7.
I suggest getting a cheap electronic pH meter, and make a calibration solution to check/adjust calibration each use. For solution, use 250 ml of distilled water plus one packet, if it is the common cheap packets. Store the tip in calibration solution. That is commonly done by putting calibration solution into the cap, and storing cap down.

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am curious if my well water is suitable for irrigation. Before you answer this question, please note that we've been using it for 16 years and it mostly seems to be OK. However, I do feel like there are some plants that might not like it. Most of flowers and garden seems happy. But it feels like new trees are not thrilled with it. Particularly pine. Spruce do OK with it.

pH = 8.6
Conductivity = 651 uS/cm
Sodium = 148.6 mg/L
Potassium = 0.34 mg/L
Calcium = 2.88 mg/L
Magnesium = 0.49 mg/L
Total Hardness (CaCO3) = 9.2 mg/L
Iron = 0
Total alkalinity (CaC03) = 273.8 mg/L
Carbonate = 15.5 mg/L
Bicarbonate = 302.7 mg/L
Hydroxide = 0
Chloride = 3.2 mg/L
Floride = 6.5 mg/L
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Sulfate = 44 mg/L
TDS = 370.29 mg/L

If there are problems with this water for irrigation, I would like to understand what they are. I know the SAR is bad, but I haven't noted any problems with water percolating through the soil. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask these questions, but I suspect someone may know.
your TDS is high. mainly consisting of sodium and chloride. NaCl interferes with a plants process of making chlorophyll. I would imagine different plants like different pH's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks