Is my pump going to fall off?

Users who are viewing this thread

KFULK1

Reaction score
Here is a video of my problem. 210ft well 5 horse pump. water hammer after 10 sec of pump coming on. then few sec before pressure starts to raise. then heck of vibration from well head.

thanks for any help.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 5hp? At 210ft? Is there a contactor up on the wall somewhere? Nothing in the video lead me to believe the pumps that large.
Edit: wire looks a bit bigger on my computer than on my phone, certainly could be a 5hp.

Do you get air in your water?

My guess is there is multiple check valves in the well. The top ones holding and the drop pipe is leaking into the well.

Last edited:

KFULK1

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 5hp? At 210ft? Is there a contactor up on the wall somewhere? Nothing in the video lead me to believe the pumps that large.
Edit: wire looks a bit bigger on my computer than on my phone, certainly could be a 5hp.

Do you get air in your water?

My guess is there is multiple check valves in the well. The top ones holding and the drop pipe is leaking into the well.

definatlt 210 feet. not 100% posotive its 5 hose but there is the electical control moduel on the wall. It was a used irrigation pump my parents got from our nieghbor 30years ago. he doesnt remember putting more than 1 check valve in when we reinstalled the pump though. the pump its self is probably 35years old. im worried that vibration is going to break the pipe.
I havent notice any air in the lines either. could it be holes in the pipe so the water coming up pushes air out inside the well before it hit the top?

Last edited:

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
definatlt 210 feet. not 100% posotive its 5 hose but there is the electical control moduel on the wall. It was a used irrigation pump my parents got from our nieghbor 30years ago. he doesnt remember putting more than 1 check valve in when we reinstalled the pump though. the pump its self is probably 35years old. im worried that vibration is going to break the pipe.
I havent notice any air in the lines either. could it be holes in the pipe so the water coming up pushes air out inside the well before it hit the top?

There is probably 2 checks, one integrated into the pump and one right under that well seal. I'd expect you'd see some air but it's hard to say, we don't know the water level, or where the checks might be. it could just leak the pressure and still hold water.

At 35 years old if that is a galvanized drop pipe it's probably in rough shape. It could break with or without vibration. Steel is pretty strong and can sustain a lot of stress but I wouldn't be pushing it at this point, You have a problem in the well, the system has done it's time, time to pull it up.

Unless you are using enormous amounts of water you can probably get the same performance out of a 3HP, which is still an awful lot more than most people need. Go back in with plastic pipe and hope you get another 30 years.

KFULK1

Reaction score
I appreciate your feed back. I will get someone out to work on it ASAP.
thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks