Is my PEX going to be exposed to UV for too long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johndoejohndoes

Reaction score
On February 10th my new construction home had Uponor PEX laid into the ground under our soon to be slab location.

On my follow up visit on February 20th everything was covered with dirt and there was a tarp over it…so it was exposed to direct sunlight for no more than 10 days.

For most of the house plumbing we have the white Uponor AquaPex and for a few locations we have the blue PEX. From what I’m reading, the white has a once month UV resistance and the blue has a six month UV resistance.

I’m concerned because today is March 2nd and while the slab has been laid, the tops of all the connections are sticking out of the ground and exposed to direct sunlight.

How concerned should I be about this as I don’t think trusses will be installed until March 14th which will be just over a month. Could these be damaged and is there anything I can ask the builder to do?

261EEBCC-FE0D-477C-B032-A6D698D5A62F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johndoejohndoes

Reaction score
I don't think that Uponor red or blue pex should be used. They have been pulled from the market for a while.

Regarding UV a month, you could cover with a tarp or black plastic.
Everything is the clear Uponor with red/blue letters. The blue pipe (there’s only two) must be another brand.

Could I ask them to cover with those big black trash bags? I wonder if that would provide enough protection for the next two weeks until the roof is on?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks