Is my Desuperheater plumbed properly??

Users who are viewing this thread

DH1

Reaction score
Hi,

I just noticed that my desuperheater on my Trane GSHP may be improperly plumbed. This might have happened before I bought the house or when the system was replaced 5 years ago.

I have 2 50-gal tanks. Both are wired to the panel and the internal thermostats are set to 115F. Cold water flows into the first tank and out to the second, which is connected to the GSHP by a single pipe connected to the 2nd tank drain. The input and output pipes from the GSHP connect at a tee just before the drain (see photo).

In summary, there are 2 issues:
1. The GSHP appears to be heating the water that comes out of the first tank in the series instead of the other way around.
2. The desuperheater input and output meet at a tee before the tank.

This seems totally wrong and doesn't match any diagram I've seen online. Is there some reason to plumb it this way--aside from gross incompetence? Should I fix it?

Thanks.

Drew

IMG_6630.jpeg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Can't tell anything from your pic. Could be a desuperheater with preheat tank .

DH1

Reaction score
Sorry for the poor pic. I've attached a clearer, annotated one. As you can see, both the "IN" and "OUT" from the GSHP desuperheater meet at a tee connected to the water heater drain. Shouldn't the "IN" come off a tee at the cold inlet on the top of the waterheater? I can't see how any water heated by the GSHP would circulate in the storage tank with this configuration.

The water in this tank is the second in series and it's heated by electric rather than passively from the GSHP.

I plan to redo the piping to match the diagrams in the manual, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks,
Drew
Drew
IMG_6630-2.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
That fitting going Into the drain is a factory made. I would want to take a couple of temperature readings in and out desuperheater at unit with hot water running and not. A ir thermometer isn't as accurate as a probe type. Turn the electric elements off check temp of the first tank. Is there a pump on the desuperheater piping? If the desuperheater wasn't working your electric bill would show it.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have any info on that tee? There are cases where a manufacturer makes a specialty fitting for easier install. For this fitting to work it would be a crazy design that I've not seen, but it's the only reason I can think of that someone would pipe like this.

DH1

Reaction score
Do you have any info on that tee? There are cases where a manufacturer makes a specialty fitting for easier install. For this fitting to work it would be a crazy design that I've not seen, but it's the only reason I can think of that someone would pipe like this.
Unfortunately, I have no info on the fitting into the drain. The diagram in the Trane installer's manual shows a tap off the cold water inlet on the top of the tank going to the GSHP and back to the tank thru the drain. Both tanks have the same model #.

The fact that this tank gets it water from the first tank and sends hot water to the house suggests that the entire configuration is FUBAR. I just was wondering if there was any possible reason for plumbing it this way before I reconfigured it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Repipe your system. That strange fitting it will be interesting to see what it is. Out from the hp straight pipe to far side of tank return back to hp piping side.
After repipe turn breaker off first tank.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
I don't know the answer years ago had four two hundred fifty gallon tanks piped in series in the bottom out the top for a hotel for hot water. and with a ir thermometer water wouldn't mix in the tank. Put a 90° ell on the bottom and top got a better mix. Thinking instead of into the drain might be better into the cold down the dip tube.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks