Is it bad to have a bypass on your pipes and on your softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We've been running ours with both for a couple years now with no ill effects. I remember when I put the softener in a couple people from a couple different websites told me to have a built in bypass in addition to a softener mounted bypass as a backup and for ease of use, so I put one in.

Also, lets say i didnt have a supply line side bypass...what would happen if my softener needed to be repaired? Could I just take off the bypass from my softener without water getting everywhere or how would that work?

Thanks!b

adayrider

Reaction score
I can answer the last one because I just learned myself. Yes you can turn the bypass to bypass and unhook the softner with no water running everywhere.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The second bypass is good to have if the softener bypass needs to be repaired.
The only real challenge that I have seen is the bypass in the pipe having the cross over one turned so that water passes the whole system.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most modern high quality bypasses by Fleck and Clack are very reliable and rarely need repair. Older bypasses, especially the big box store versions or some older autotrol bypasses were notorious for failing so a traditional 3 valve or divertaflo bypass was common for their reliability. Like Akpsdvan said , it is good to have and their is no real disadvantage to them, other than operator error and the additional cost. I would not recommend a 3 valve bypass if you are going to use junk ball or gate valves, they are more likely to have future problems as a valve mounted bypass. Use high end components on your plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks