Insulating PEX supply and return in CH system

Users who are viewing this thread

tropostudio

Reaction score
Opinions on whether it's worth it to add insulation to PEX supply and return lines in a hydronic heating seem to be all over the map.

I'm running 3/8" OB PEX to 15 panel radiators in my renovation. 1915 bungalow will be a 2-story + finished basement. All 3/8" supply and return lines are home-runned to emitters from manifolds in the basement. All runs are within an insulated, conditioned envelope. Shortest runs may be 10- 15' one-way; longest runs may be 50-60' one-way. All emitters use TRV's - no central thermostat(s)

I can see the value of not having lines too close together, to avoid heat transfer between adjacent pipes. But aside from heat transfer in the pipes before it hits the ideal transfer location - at the emitter - is it that big of a deal if transfer occurs along the way? The heat stays in the conditioned envelope, and the TRV's will ultimately control temps at the emitters, right?

Makes sense to me to insulate DHW the main supply runs and recirc loop. That's easy, and I don't need to heat the house in the summer...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks