Installing Toilet in woodshop 75 feet from house with no slope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim MacIntosh

Reaction score
Two pumps seems unnecessary.

It looks like you have three foundation walls you are going through. Is that what those are?

Why insulated heated box? Is it impractical to get the outside run below the frost line?

Sorry about the diagram. Left wall there is the shop, then space between buildings (19') then basement of main house, (dirt floor, two walls)
I can't get below the frost line because the main house foundation itself isn't below the frost line and I can't undermine it.
The two pumps plan is because some have suggested that pumps don't like the long gentle up situation and are designed to go straight up with gravity down from there. I really don't like having two pumps though. Would you think I could do it with the one pump plan?
Thanks

Tim MacIntosh

Reaction score
Tom, What about gravuty drain from workshop to the basement of house and then pump up to the elevation where sewer exits house?
BTW Tim might want to look at his drawing I dont think you can gravity drain w/c on a 2 inch line

Right. The barrel is in the shop and receives sewage on a 3" line. Pump output (pressurized) is on a 2". I would do the plan you suggested, gravity to main house, but I would have to undermine the footing of the main house, with a deep and big trench. Not a good idea here.
In Plan B, I thought I could maybe use a cheater vent at the top of the loop: when pump is on, vent is closed and sewage goes the right way; when pump is off, vent opens and encourages sewage to drain out of weather exposed line....
These are weird ideas maybe?
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The two pumps plan is because some have suggested that pumps don't like the long gentle up situation and are designed to go straight up with gravity down from there. I really don't like having two pumps though. Would you think I could do it with the one pump plan?
I am not a pro. I have never heard about that concern about going up gently. I guess the concern would be that that would fill up with a solids over a long distance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a pro. I have never heard about that concern about going up gently. I guess the concern would be that that would fill up with a solids over a long distance.

I don't know all the do and don't of pumping but I've got a company that I go through all the questions with how many fixtures length of run the head etc. then they recommend the proper pump, basin,, etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks