Installing Kohler Greek soaking tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Ram

Reaction score
hello all. I will be attempting to tear out an old steel tub to install a Kohler Greek soaking tub and have done some research but still have a few questions. First , what is the best approach at removing a steel tub in an alcove? I really can’t see how it’s attached , even when looking under a rear plumbing access panel.

Next, the installation instructions for the kohler tub say to leave 1/16 gap between bottom of outer tub edge and the framing/ tile. It then says that this space is to be filled with silicone. This doesn’t sound like an option that would be sturdy, even with a mortar bed underneath. Am I missing something? I’m confused as to what actually holds the tub in place.
The plumbing/ drain on the new looks straight forward and is nearly an exact match to my existing plumbing so I think I’m good to go in that area. Here is a link to the tubhttps://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...lic-Soaking-Tub-in-White-K-1490-X-0/100027218
Thanks!

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The installation instructions are correct. An acrylic fiberglass tub should never be supported by its flange. A good bed of mortar is sufficient. You need the 1/16" gap with silicone so the tub can withstand flex and expansion and contraction.

Cement or Mortar Bed Method NOTICE: Do not use gypsum cement or drywall compound, as these materials will not provide a durable bond. Only use cement or mortar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are removing a five foot tub and installing a shorter four foot tub that is wider in that spot. The old tub was 30" from the studs, and the new 32" tub sets on a deck that is framed. How close is the toilet to this. You need 15" from center to the edge of the tub framing.
A deck tub is supported from the bottom, not by the to decking. Depending on high high the decking is, you can support it several ways according to Kohler. One common method is dropping piles a mortar mix down and then dropping the tub down over that. The piles are pushed out and away and provide support. It's impossible to make a flat bed of mortar that is the correct height for that. That's why the piles of mortar that conform to the tub and then harden.
Kohler wants the top flange to not quite touch the deck, so that they know that the tub is self supporting, and not hanging by a flange. That is all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks