Installing Garbage Disposer electrical

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by SaShepherd, Jun 18, 2014.

1. SaShepherd

SaShepherd New Member

I need to run power to a new garbage disposer and am looking for advice. My dishwasher is on it's own 20 A breaker. I thought to junction the power off before the dishwasher and branch off a line to wire a half switched outlet for the disposer. The half hot outlet would be for future potential use for an instant hot water device. I would leave the dishwasher hardwired. Is this the best was to do this?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

HEre, the dishwasher has a pigtail and it goes into the "hot" half and disposer uses the switched half.
  3. SaShepherd

SaShepherd New Member

Yes, this could also be an option for me, however, I'd like to have the hot plug available for an instant hot water unit.

Does anyone see a problem with my suggested plan for running power to the disposer?
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Someone once asked me how many dimes were in a dollar. I now ask how many amps are there in a 20 amp circuit.

I suppose one could hook as many things to a 20 amp circuit as they wanted but the reality is that the breaker will keep tripping
  5. hj

Is that like asking "how many stamps are in a dozen"? You have no control over WHEN the heater is going to turn on, and if you use the DW and/or the disposer at that time it may overload the breaker.
  6. dj2

dj2 Member

Better to have the garbage disposer on a dedicated circuit. Just to make sure, read the manufacturer's manual for the specific requirement.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some disposals have a pretty significant motor which, combined with a DW in pre-heat or drying mode, could easily overload a breaker.
  8. hj

I would put the disposer and DW on the same circuit, which is VERY commonly done, than the water heater and DW. The water heater is going to have a MUCH higher amp load than the disposer, ANY disposer.
  9. SaShepherd

SaShepherd New Member

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

TO clarify...I was talking about the DW's preheat function on many of them if the incoming water is not hot enough. It tends to use the same heating element as the drying cycle, and can be fairly high current; not a tank-type WH.
  11. hj

WE know what you were referring to, but he is referring to adding on an undersink "ultra-hot" water heater.
  12. Vegas_sparky

Vegas_sparky Eat kitty

I'd give the DW, disposal, and insta-hot their own dedicated circuits. Typically people are done with the disposal before the DW runs, so by chance you may avoid any issues. I've never seen an insta-hot that was worth a darn that didn't require a dedicated circuit.