Installing Dishwasher

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Cephus, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Cephus

Cephus New Member

Got a question, I've been considering this for a while but I'm finally thinking of getting it done. We live in an old house, built in 1926, so there's nowhere to install a dishwasher in the kitchen. Just outside of the kitchen though, in what has become the laundry room, there is an old, unused sink exactly the right size for a dishwasher. It's got hot and cold water lines, it's got an established drain, all I'd need to do is rip out the sink and cabinet, build a new cabinet for the dishwasher and install. There is no vent but I was going to install a Studor mini-vent and tie into the existing p-trap. I'm a bit concerned about it backing up, is there any suggested way to avoid that? This really is my only option to install a dishwasher at all. Ideas or suggestions?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If the drain size is correct, that should be fine. A 1.5" drain would work.
    If you add an air gap, or at least install with a high loop, you should be fine.
  3. Cephus

Cephus New Member

It's a standard 1.5" drain and with the Studor vent, I was figuring I was good, doesn't hurt to ask though. :)