Indoor sauna causing humidity issues

Users who are viewing this thread

donl1150

Reaction score
I have an oversized attached 2 car garage. It is heated via in-floor radiant and is fully insulated with sheet rock walls and ceiling. There are 2 small double hung windows and 2 insulated service doors. Last spring, I built a small sauna in the garage. It is built on a 12” raised platform to allow for floor drainage into the basement of the house. It has an electric heater and a shower inside.

This fall I have noticed the humidity in the garage is fairly high after I use the sauna. I just recently bought a temp/humidity monitor to see exactly where I am at. I keep the garage at 63 deg F and the humidity after a sauna is 75%. I know that is too high and am wondering the best way to address the problem. The house has a HRV system and I am thinking if I would tap into that somehow would be my best solution. Other alternative might be to use an exhaust fan in the upper portion of the double hung windows? Thoughts?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
In a MN climate exhaust ventilation either on a timer or under dehumidistat control) would probably be safer than risking ice damage on the HRV when the humidity is that high. The moisture content of 75% RH/63F air is more than 2x that of 30% RH/68F wintertime indoor air, and I would anticipate copious condensation & frost inside the HRV core.

Also, in many places it's a code violation to use the same ventilation system for both the house and a garage, due to the smoke/fire spread issues, as well as the airborne VOCs associated with gasoline.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks