Users who are viewing this thread

Phyllis

Reaction score
Help needed. My daughter's health issue requires a powerful flushing, standard height toilet. She plunges multiple times a day, which makes her illness that much more stressful. She needs standard height, because the squatty potty doesn't work for her, since she has to switch between standing & sitting. We were warned against new American Standard's because of unreliability. The newest Toto Drake (close coupled) has a small water spot; we aren't sure it will do the job because she has to use a lot of TP. Wondering about the flush of the older Drake models, reviews are mixed. Kohler's are apparently having parts issues, plus the standard height Wellworth has several terrible reviews. She'll have a bidet seat, but will still need a good flush. I read about holding down the flush handle to get more water. It doesn't help with her current toilet. You can't hold the handle down on the new American Standards either, it disables the flush. Wondering if it works on Kohler's & Toto's? A plumber recommended 1.6 gpf toilets because they are simple & have the highest volume. I researched standard height map tested toilets with scores over 1000, there aren't many, and reviews weren't good. It seems like my daughter is going to have to accept plunging. Are there any reliable, powerful standard height toilets on the market? Does anyone have experience using the Wellworth or Drake? Any ideas/opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's mainly paper and you're using a bidet seat, then the Drake CST744S or CST744SG standard height elongated.

New models in 2021 that replace those.
Standard height elongated
CST776CEG with the 1.28 tank
CST776CSG with the 1.6 tank

The bidet seat will require much less paper. And there are plenty you can find out there.
Holding the handle down on the Drake will drain the entire tank if needed.

If it's a problem with stool size being too large, then I would be looking at a pressure assist bowl. Gerber makes a standard height bowl elongated.
GE 21-312

Last edited:

evolution2147

Reaction score
I spent most of my childhood plunging toilets and getting yelled at because of it, I never questioned it much until I purchased my first house and replaced the house original toilet when the wax seal started leaking for plunging it. I picked the Kohler Wellworth just randomly at the store and have only had to plunge it once or twice in the last 3 years. I liked it so much I put the ADA version of it in my other bathroom when I remodeled it. Also have had no issues with that one. This is obviously just my own personal experience though.

MorrisJon

Reaction score
Hello, @Phyllis. Choosing a new toilet for your home is no joke, given how much use it will get, and how dire the results can be if you end up with a, er, bum model (okay, just the one!). Seriously, a toilet with weak flushing power will lead to frequent clogs, wreaking havoc on your home's plumbing. Some types leave behind unsightly stains, and some others are so loud when they flush that you risk waking the entire household if you go in the middle of the night. I will recommend Toto UltraMax II.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assisted toilets tend to be loud (messy if needed in the middle of the night for others in the house), and can shred things, leaving little bits and a second flush to get it all out. Because they can tend to break things up, on some stools, that can help getting them down the drain, though. A good design with smoother curves in the path and the exit without a tight turn tend to clog less. FWIW, even an ADA height toilet is still shorter than the average dining room chair.

Not all gravity flush toilets are created equal, and the newest ones are better than those that first came out. The size of the water spot needs to be smaller when you only use a small amount of water to flush...the volume in the bowl can't be more than what's used to flush it, limiting the water spot which can vary from wide and shallow, to narrower and deeper. Bowl wash will be an issue with some diets...as will the amount of fiber and fat in your diet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The TOTO Drake 2021 models are out now. A good trapway design and the swirl rinse with the good bowl finish.

Standard height elongated
CST776CEG with the 1.28 tank
CST776CSG with the 1.6 tank

cst776cefg-terrylove-06.jpg

New Drake Toilet 2021 upgrades coming soon | Page 2 | Terry Love Plumbing Advice & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks