In need of bathtub help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Maria1179

Reaction score
Been reading and researching for months, figured I'm just going to ask my specific questions instead of piecing everything together.

Since I can't find any showrooms where I can physically evaluate these tubs for myself I would like some opinions on these tubs or any recommendations. Looking for a sturdy, quality, reinforced tub with a tile flange. Ruled out cast iron bc we would have to reinforce floor. Through research decided on Acrylic. We need 60X30 Alcove Soaking tub.

Narrowed it down to:
-Kohler Archer
-Jacuzzi Signature Tru Leveling
-American Standard (Does the Skirt have a removable panel? I don't know if I would like that)
-Or any recommendations you all have

Additional ?'s
-For mortar base, What product do you recommend?
-With the Tru leveling system, should I still use mortar base?
-Any recommendations for quality solid brass faucets? We have hard water and also are tried of the flimsy selections at the big box stores.

Thanks for anyone with some input, any advise will help. I understand any product can fail, but we are gutting the bathroom, this is a HUGE investment for us. So we just want to try and get it right on a budget so we are not replacing things in a couple years.

Reaction score
It won't really matter what you choose, as long as the job is done right. Waterproofing from good workmanship is what's going to last 75+ years, not the kind of tub you'll choose. You'll want to tile everything, floors and walls, and epoxy for grout.

Whether your sub-floor is in good shape or not, if you have at least two layers of 3/4" plywood for a floor, and you tile over it with something like Schluter Ditra, you'll be able to drop a money safe on that floor, so surely a cast iron clawfoot too, if that's what you really have an eye for.

I don't think there are any hard-water specific shower/sink faucets on the market, that protection would come from a good water softener-filter system in your basement, such that all water on all your sinks and faucets would be getting 'friendly' water. I would choose shower and sink faucets that would make you happy. For example: I can't stand single handles for anything, those piss me off and I wouldn't care what brand it was.

I agree it will be a investment, both time and money, so you want to do it right once, and want it to last a lifetime. Go look up some Schluter Systems videos on how they do things.
Tub-Lip-600.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks