I need to bury an electrical wire

Users who are viewing this thread

TravisJJ

Reaction score
I just removed a deck in my backyard.

Under it was some of the electrical wire that runs from my home to my garage (pictures are below).

Can someone recommend the best steps to burying this underground?

What you see in the photos is the only portion that is exposed.

Thank you!

IMG_4903REV.jpg

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

TravisJJ

Reaction score
What does everyone think of this reply I received on another forum?

You may not even need to alter the existing conduit setup. I'd trench under the existing pipe and alongside the vertical run. I'd then simply lay the vertical run over on its side, allowing a substantial length of pipe to twist in each direction. Get it down 6" or more and stake it down, if necessary, before re-burying it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is "rigid" pipe conduit so I doubt you would have much success "turning it on its side" and rebending it the way you would need to in order to get rid of the excess piping. And, the pull ell is not waterproof.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just to be on the safe side, call Dig Safe (it's required) before you start trenching or digging much at all. There are some codes about how deep the stuff must go, but I'm not up on it. You might want to consider using underground rated cabling rather than what may be individual wires in the EMT.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
UF cable or conduit must be at least 18” below grade.

Do you know if it’s a live circuit? May had provided power for patio lights or just a outlet. If it is not needed then pull it out. Or it must be buried but it will need to be replaced. You cannot just bury it as is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks