I just found that if you get a permit from LNI WA - you can not sell your home for a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
I was looking at permit and fees and it says you can not sell your home for 12 months if you take a permit as homeowner and do the work yourself ?

what is the solution for this? Hire an electrician ? there is no other solution if u want to sell within 12 months? @Terry

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Please provide the link to this statement. It might mean you cannot sell it with an open permit?
Yeah, while an open permit that was not inspected could be an issue, it would be strange, after it was finished and inspected, that there would be anything. Stranger things have happened.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some jurisdictions have laws or rules that are intended to discourage flipping through work done under homeowner's permits. So that could be of the form "if you intend to sell within 12 months, you may not use a homeowner's permit." With an exception for the unexpected (e.g. after you complete the work, you lose your job and have to relocate), although that would surely be messy to judge.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
Some jurisdictions have laws or rules that are intended to discourage flipping through work done under homeowner's permits. So that could be of the form "if you intend to sell within 12 months, you may not use a homeowner's permit." With an exception for the unexpected (e.g. after you complete the work, you lose your job and have to relocate), although that would surely be messy to judge.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes someone said the same.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you had been living there for a few years before the work, I would guess they would not be that upset if you sold before two years as long as you put the house on the market well after final inspection. Maybe my guess is presumptuous. I suspect this is aimed at house flippers.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

The link is for "property owners" filing a permit. For an electrical contractor it appears there are no restrictions.
Contractor Electrical Work Permit Application

Both of these forms are state level. The property owner permit states to check your local jurisdiction (incorporated) since many have their own permit and inspection process. https://www.lni.wa.gov/licensing-pe...spections/city-electrical-permits-inspections

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if they would out and out prohibit the sale ? You do sign an affidavit, and what that means if you change your mind I don't know. curiousv I could guess and so could you but let us know what you find out from a reliable source?

Ohmslaw

Reaction score
I was looking at permit and fees and it says you can not sell your home for 12 months if you take a permit as homeowner and do the work yourself ?

what is the solution for this? Hire an electrician ? there is no other solution if u want to sell within 12 months? @Terry
Indiana has a similar provision, at least in my area. A homeowner can pull a permit and perform electrical work on their own home, but they are not allowed to sell it for a year after its completion. I assume that it is to make sure that it is safe and not just passing on shoddy work to a new buyer.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Indiana has a similar provision, at least in my area. A homeowner can pull a permit and perform electrical work on their own home, but they are not allowed to sell it for a year after its completion. I assume that it is to make sure that it is safe and not just passing on shoddy work to a new buyer.
I believe it is to prevent house flipping for a quick sale and not hiring a licensed electrician to save on cost on the improvements. It generally can led to shoddy work even though the work needs to be inspected, but many will not get an inspection. Depending on local statues, a house could be sold with open permits and be missed by a home inspector and a mortgage company. If a licensed electrician pulls the permit there are probably no restrictions on a house sale.

Curiousv

Reaction score
I spoke with inspector supervisor and he said - its a law but we are not going enforce it

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I spoke with inspector supervisor and he said - its a law but we are not going enforce it
yea its a very overbearing law. some body adds a circuit or a water heater does the "right " thing pulls a permit and big brother will stop a home sale? or just threaten to.
I liked the post #2 by Reach4 where he said " I would consider not drawing a permit"
Overbearing Laws often push people to ignore them, many laws attempting to protect wind up with a worse problem. Sometimes "there oughta be a law" might need re thinking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks