How to repair/replace water valve going to toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Patty Bates

Reaction score
I purchased a home and in the washroom, I noticed that the valve connecting to the toilet's water supply line looks a little funny. Does anyone happen to know what happened to it and how I could repair/replace it?
Image included below:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. They broke off the handle and added a hose with an integrated valve as a work around. It looks like a compression valve on copper. I would replace the whole valve. You can also get re-build kits to replace the guts … they are brand specific.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you have a compression valve on the bottom. That maybe leaked, and somebody put a special connector line in place that had a built in valve on its input to compensate.

I am thinking that I would inspect that copper pipe, an if it was in good shape, I might cut that pipe shorter. Then onto that pipe I would put either a new compression valve or a Sharkbite valve.

Alternatively, you could not cut the pipe, and try removing the bottom valve, but leave the nut and ferrule. See if the new valve will screw on and use the old nut and ferrule. If it will not, you either get a ferrule puller, or you cut and dress the pipe.

Eman85

Reaction score
That's creative plumbing! I'd try what Reach4 suggested with trying a new valve to replace the original. I'd go to Lowes or HD and buy anything and everything you think you'll need as you will need to shut the water off first, you can return what you don't use. If you install a new valve, you will also need a new hose from the valve to the toilet as the one you have had the valve connected to it.
A push to connect valve like Sharkbite or Brasscraft might require a real cleaning of the pipe, is that solder on the copper? If it is solder that might be a soldered on male fitting and a new valve would thread right on.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
It's just an add on valve made especially for the purpose you have. The main valve is broke, so you add on this valve. If you do end up replacing the valve, which should be fairly straightforward since you have enough pipe to just cut and use another compression valve, make sure to get a quarter turn ball valve shut off. I really hate when people use the same old cheap valve which will eventually seize up and break again. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCr...on-Outlet-Straight-Valve-G2CR14X-C1/202047046

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We would simply remove everything above the compression nut, then place a good quality quarter turn 5/8" compression x 3/8" straight stop. 99% of the time there is no issue with just doing that, without involving removing the nut nor ferrule.

royalflush001

Reaction score
We would simply remove everything above the compression nut, then place a good quality quarter turn 5/8" compression x 3/8" straight stop. 99% of the time there is no issue with just doing that, without involving removing the nut nor ferrule.
Agreed with that! Simply removing everything above the compression nut and replacing it with a new one makes it easy!

royalflush001

Reaction score
Agreed with that! Simply removing everything above the compression nut and replacing it with a new one makes it easy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks