How to install shed in backyard. needs drilling and any surface is fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
I am looking to put a shed in my backyard to be able to store some items like showels, grill, small lawn mower etc. My backyard is back and the most sheds I go to see at homedepot are too big.
Recently I saw 6x4 vertical storage shed by Suncast that cost less than $500 at sam's club and menard. This one https://www.suncast.com/extra-large-vertical-storage-shed-with-tool-hooks-peppercorn.html

Can I put this on any backyard ground floor? Does it need drilling of ground floor to be able to install this or it doesn't require any drilling of the ground?
My backyard is surface floor is little bit uneven with concrete and pebble small rocks. If it doesn't require drilling of ground and it can sit between pebble ground and cocrete ground, I will go buy this. If this require drilling of the backyard ground floor, I am not sure.
Thanks

Questions1

Reaction score
The link you provide has a "Manuals & FAQs" internal tab halfway down, which will let you download the manual. That links to:

Cheers, Wayne
yeah it looks like i have to dig big holes or destroy the concrete floor or something. i have no expereince in these and can't do it. if it is not so hard like assembling a chair you bought from IKEA, I can try it but doing anything on the bakcyard gorund floor or concrete floor, I have no experience. However i have neigbhors around me all endless of these small sheds installed left and right as if you can just assemle and put it anywhere you want.

Reach4

Reaction score
yeah it looks like i have to dig big holes or destroy the concrete floor or something.
That is a weird interpretation of "- To secure the shed to a concrete slab, use masonry fasteners available at your local hardware retailer. "

Questions1

Reaction score
That is a weird interpretation of "- To secure the shed to a concrete slab, use masonry fasteners available at your local hardware retailer. "
here is the building code. called the building dept told me any shed big or small need permit and on concrete only
my backyard is half soil with pebbeles on top and half concrete.
I only need a small shed in my not so big backyard like this https://www.wayfair.com/storage-org...d16c911ee827a00610a82b820&cjdata=MXxOfDB8WXww
or like this https://www.suncast.com/extra-large-vertical-storage-shed-with-tool-hooks-peppercorn.html
can any handyman do this?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
here is the building code. called the building dept told me any shed big or small need permit and on concrete only
The state building code appears to exempt one-story detached accessory structures that are 120 square feet or smaller (although I guess you should track down the original source rather than trusting a 3rd party):

But I'm not sure how it works in Illinois, and if Skokie can pass its own requirements that are stricter than the state building code.

Cheers, Wayne

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I know that the manufacturer calls that a 'shed', but I would call it a 'deck box'. I would be shocked if you needed a permit. I suspect if you bring a picture into your local building inspector they will confirm the same.

Questions1

Reaction score
this is my backyard not so big.hald soil with pebble, half concrete that is cracked. can i still set up one of these shed or deck box above?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure its easy just buy the kit go on you tube you can build it yourself in an after noon

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks