How to connect L14-20 plug to normal plug ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph R.

Reaction score
I have a coffee brewer that has a L14-20p plug and it states its 120/240V.

Is it possible to somehow connect it to a standard 3 prong 120V/20A plug in my garage? Excuse the silly question, but I dont know very much about this.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Simplest way would be to replace the existing receptacle with a L14-20R receptacle. You would of course connect your hot to the terminal that connects to the 120V circuit of the plug.

Reach4

Reaction score
L14-20p is often used when the load draws both 240 and 120 VAC... This must be a heavy duty commercial unit.

"I have a coffee brewer that has a L14-20p plug and it states its 120/240V." Does it refer to the plug or the coffee brewer? Do you have the manual for the coffee maker?

Joseph R.

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks so much for the input.

Good news is that the brewer can run using either 120 or 240V via a switch (see diagram).

I think it may be easier to simply switch out the L14-20p cable for a standard 20A 2 wire and be done with it. If so, I'll grab one hot leg (ie. black) and the neutral and map it properly to the 2 wire cable - then flip the switch to 120V (see photo below). Let me know if Im totally off here.

diagram2.png

diagram.jpg

diagram1.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you need a 3-conductor cable with a NEMA 5-20P plug.
NEMA-5-20P.png
I am not sure if that is what you meant. This can plug into a standard 20 amp 120VAC outlet due to the T-shaped slot in those receptacles.

I might just change the plug rather than the cord assembly.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks