How to access piping inside solar pool heater panels?

Users who are viewing this thread

CowboyGP

Reaction score
A customer of mine (I have a home maintenance business) has a solar pool heating system. The system is rather old and so far I haven't been able to determine a manufacturer. There is a slow leak dripping from the lower "header" tube, but I'm not sure the best way to open the panel to find the actual leak. I know enough about how the panels work and have researched different repair methods. The panels have a black material covering the top and corrugated fiberglass underneath. Everything is connected with steel straps and pop rivets. The only way I can think of to get the cover off is to drill out the rivets, but this seems like a very poor design for a plumbed system. Did they truly think there would NEVER be a need to gain access for repairs?

If anyone has experience with these type of panels, can name a possible manufacturer or has any tips on how to go about opening them up to find the leak, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for reading.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks