How many of you use tape on compression threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffH

Reaction score
wrap telfon tape around the ferrel during angle stop installs? I'm taking a plumbing class (to much free time!) and the instuctor insists on it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nobody.

That could only cause leaks.
If you read the instructions with the compression stop, it will say light oil on the threads for the nut that snugs up the compression sleeve.

anglestop-taped.jpg

I removed this leaking stop. Terry Love

index.php

And this one on 9/29/2021

index.php

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Your instructor has a theory and it is not a good one. Or he has always done it and has no idea why or if it helps.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Some people use teflon tape just about everywhere for two reasons:

1) Pipe dope can make fingers messy -- tape has better PR;
2) They do not know which part of each part actually seals to the other.

Each has its place, but some places need (are are even better off with) neither.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I dont use teflon tape on compression fittings although I do put just a dab of pipe dope on the ferrule. It probably doesnt do much good, but it doesnt hurt and makes me feel better. Probably because the old timer I learned from always did that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tape

No plumber would do that unless he is on a time and material job and wants to run up the time and/or he buys his Teflon tape by the gross. Your instructor probably wants unions installed in a certain orientation also. I ALWAYS open the container, take out the valve, put the valve on the tubing, and then tighten it. No oil, tape, grease, pipe joint compound, or anything else.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I install them the way hj does. Your instructor is wrong. He is introducing something between the metal to metal seal.

crossthreaded

Reaction score
I was at home depot the other night and overheard the guy working there telling a guy that he needed to wrap the threads on the fitting with teflon tape to get it to seal up. I was nice enough to explain to him how the fitting works :D

we use the same fittings on nylon air lines in the heavy duty equipment field, they are holding back 100-125 psi of air pressure. I have installed thousands of them and have never put teflon on any part of them, and have never had any leak that were installed correctly. :two cents:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm like hj too.
I know that oil helps, makes it easier to tighten down.
I never have it handy anyway.

My plumbers don't either.
We just pull them from the box and throw them on.
And we install quite a few every week.

Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
If you open one of Brass Craft's little boxes containing their stops, you'll find some written information which specifically states that pipe dope is not to be used on the ferrule and or nut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks