How DWV on garage wall for sink/washer/sink? Pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

OldHouse59

Reaction score
I'm moving original washer from kitchen in old house, to garage. I already have a 4" stub coming up from under the slab in the front corner of the garage going out to the main drain in the front yard which was installed years ago for this purpose.

Picture yourself in the garage looking at the long side interior wall (with the interior of the house on the other side of that wall). The 4 inch drain would be on the far left corner. I 90'ed off that, running 2 inch ABS to the right at a 1/4 in 12 slope mounted to the garage wall just above the slab. Installed in the far right corner, from left to right stacked next to each other, will be 1. Utility sink 2. Washing Machine 3. Electric Dryer.

Then, going through the back or end of the garage wall (on your right) to the inside of the house, I plan to put a 36" bathroom vanity sink, and make a small "sink only" bathroom. If I am required to run a vent pipe at this location inside the house, then I might cancel this last sink on the right end. (I am assuming that I can vent through the wall into the vent pipes in the garage since the distance from the sink center through the wall and into the garage will be only 21 inches).

From the center of the utility sink to the center of the indoor bathroom sink will be at most 90 inches.

How would you go about plumbing and venting this, and what would be the simplest layout?

This is my first time here but i will attempt to post pictures and diagrams.
Garage 4in to 2in.jpg
sink washer dryer wall sink.jpg
Washer Combo and Sink San Tee.jpg

As you can see, I made at least the following mistakes: (or are they ?)
1. Washer trap goes directly to combo or "long radius" sweep.
2. Sanitary tee installed in horizontal drain pipe for utility sink drain.
3. Utility sink drain (above) is too low and will put trap below the level of the horizontal drain it's going into.
4. Utility sink drain is not vented properly? Or is it's proximity to the washer vent close enough?

See anything else wrong?

Not yet shown, is the future plan to continue this 2" drain through the wall on the right, into the house, and put a sink on the same wall, inside the house. Please advise on that too.

Thanks much in advance for your help.

sink waser dryer wall sink diagram.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

S-trap on the washer. You should have a santee for the trap arm there. That will siphon.

No vent on the laundry sink. The washer will siphon that trap.

Rubber fitting not allowed on the 4" to 2"
Use a 4x2 santee, and insert the clean out fitting on the top.
The lav beyond the washer will also need a vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought you could wet vent through the washer lol.

Everything Terry said and it looks like you have a rise in the horizontal near where it hits the 4".

OldHouse59

Reaction score
index.php

S-trap on the washer. You should have a santee for the trap arm there. That will siphon.

No vent on the laundry sink. The washer will siphon that trap.

Rubber fitting not allowed on the 4" to 2"
Use a 4x2 santee, and insert the clean out fitting on the top.
The lav beyond the washer will also need a vent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, how's this? (the vent for the lav beyond washer isn't installed yet, but that's what
the four way inverted San Tee is for.

BTW, the vent pipe over the washer box is more than
6" above the washer stand off pipe, which is the highest "fixture".

09022014_006.jpg
09022014_007.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Why the water PVC fittings instead of ABS? I don't mix the two, mainly because they don't make a good transition cement.

The vent for the laundry sink can't be horizontal until you are above flood level.

I see that you changed the fitting on the washer to a vertical santee. That's an improvement.

OldHouse59

Reaction score
Why the water PVC fittings instead of ABS? I don't mix the two, mainly because they don't make a good transition cement.

The vent for the laundry sink can't be horizontal until you are above flood level.

I see that you changed the fitting on the washer to a vertical santee. That's an improvement.
------------------

Thanks for your corrections. I did not know you couldn't mix the two. I used the cement that said it was for both, and it certainly seems to weld them together quite well. I also happened to have that pipe, thought it would look better where it's going to be visible on the wall, and, I thought it would be helpful (at least to me) to have the clear distinction of white = vent system and black = drain sytem. The "plumbers" at the local "stores" said it was also OK to mix them, so I didn't think about it.

If the PVC is not a problem, I was still planning to continue to the right from the four way vent santee, then 90 down to vent the future vanity sink drain.

I hope this won't mean having to tear it apart and redo again!

I read a horizontal santee is prohibited, so I also changed the horizontal santee that was for the sink, to a combo.

I am surprised that nobody commented that my prior setup with the sink trap being below the level of the
horizontal drain pipe. Was that legal? Wouldn't a heavy drain flow from the washer back up through the sink trap if it's below the drain line?

Thanks again for all your help, I've learned there's a lot more to plumbing than "common sense"! lol

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My plumbing inspectors won't let me use transition glue between PVC and ABS
I use a shielded coupling for that.

The "plumbers" at the hardware store. If they "were" plumbers, they would still be plumbing. They pay is a lot different.

The first picture was such that I wasn't going to comment on that aspect of the sink drain since it was going to be coming out.

Plumbing is all common sense, but much more than what is taught in school. You get kind of an abstract glimmer, but they don't bring it the point of the physical. I think you learn more about plumbing fiddling with garden hoses and siphons than you do in school. The math they teach is good though.

I did manage to flunk High School English and Modern Poetry.
All this was funny at the time, as I was writing poetry and handing to others to turn in with made up names for a literary class I was in. They would read and discuss the poems in class, not knowing I had written them moments before.
But I did learn a lot about writing from my father, who had a doctorate in law.
My grandfather was a superintendent for a school district in Port Townsend. But me...........I was flunking English.

Last edited:

OldHouse59

Reaction score
My plumbing inspectors won't let me use transition glue between PVC and ABS
I use a shielded coupling for that.

The "plumbers" at the hardware store. If they "were" plumbers, they would still be plumbing. They pay is a lot different.

The first picture was such that I wasn't going to comment on that aspect of the sink drain since it was going to be coming out.

Plumbing is all common sense, but much more than what is taught in school. You get kind of an abstract glimmer, but they don't bring it the point of the physical. I think you learn more about plumbing fiddling with garden hoses and siphons than you do in school. The math they teach is good though.

I did manage to flunk High School English and Modern Poetry.
All this was funny at the time, as I was writing poetry and handing to others to turn in with made up names for a literary class I was in. They would read and discuss the poems in class, not knowing I had written them moments before.
But I did learn a lot about writing from my father, who had a doctorate in law.
My grandfather was a superintendent for a school district in Port Townsend. But me...........I was flunking English.

Huh.. that's funny, you're English seems to be quite good and certainly above the level of 85% of the high school grads in my area. In fact, I think only half of the high school kids even graduate her.

BTW... sorry but I fogot to ask.. what's the code for running the dryer vent through the roof? Anything I should consider?

I"m planning to run it straight up in the corner at the right.

Does it need to be double wall or is single OK? Can it be touching the drywall or must it be spaced?

Etc..

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your "trap" being below the level of the horizontal pipe had absolutely NO problems. It is done all the time, especially with tub and shower drains. But if you get "technical" EVERY "trap" is below the horizontal pipe, because that is they only way they can be installed legally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks