How deep without hitting water. I’ve always wondered

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
They say that anywhere on this earth that you drill a hole, you’ll likely hit water. It’s just a matter of how deep. So in 2010, 33 miners in chili were rescued at a depth of 2300’ by drilling a hole down to them and bringing them up one by one in a capsule. How did they drill that deep without hitting water, which would have killed all those miners?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If a mine is 2300 feet deep there is a hollow spot in the earth at 2300 feet. If there is a hollow spot then there is no water, as it's hollow there, water would settle below that hollow spot.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
There’s never a hollow spot below water? That makes sense to me to a point. But in this case, the mine is 2300’ deep. Could water be at 200’ naturally?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a federal website that has charts of the average water depth for most of the country...Where I live, it's about 8-10' on average. When I lived in El Paso, the city's wells were about 4000'. Now, it also depends on how porous the ground/soil is how deep you need to make the well so you can pump some out...you need the pump's depth far enough into the column so things can refill fast enough while you are pumping it out to meet your needs without the level reaching the pump as it won't do much pumping air! So, you may need to go much deeper than when you first hit water in say rock, versus going through sand where the water can flow back in with little resistance.

FWIW, there are ways to get a good estimate of how long the water has been underground...the water in El Paso averages about 10,000-years old and it's a losing battle...they do not get enough rainfall to recharge their aquifer, and the deeper they go, it tends to get saltier. They're pumping it out far faster than any is percolating down into the aquifer. The US desert SW and some of the west has a big problem with fresh water.

Where I live, there's lots of water, but we still may have some issues if it doesn't rain much.

Where I grew up, the town's spring fed water supply was like 1/4-mile from my home. If the power went out, our basement would fill up with about 6-8" of water fairly fast...the sump pump got a workout at least 1/2 of the year.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If there is a hollow spot then there is no water, as it's hollow there, water would settle below that hollow spot.
More than likely, there are dewatering pumps keeping the water from filling the hollow spot. It comes down to how fast the water comes in and how fast the pumps can remove it.

Reach4

Reaction score
More than likely, there are dewatering pumps keeping the water from filling the hollow spot. It comes down to how fast the water comes in and how fast the pumps can remove it.
Good point. The mine may have been able to keep those pumps powered to protect the miner's space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks