Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

jrprusak

Reaction score
Can you send me in the right direction to purchase a new residential hot water heater?
Natural gas, 40 gal, tall, direct vent, no power required, 10+ year warreny, good city water. Rheem, AO Smith, Bradford, a few extra bucks for better quality is no issue. Thank you, John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ill tell you i hear more complaints about AOsmith, and Rheem, Some say its only the big box versions that arent as good.
Bradford white have 6 year warranty with an optional extention on the same heater in other words you pay extra for a longer warranty on a standard 6 year. I have a little more faith in bradford white , but I have little to back it up. mostly gut and talk from others that persuaded me slightly

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Plain Jane water heaters are usually trouble free. Only four parts all shared and attained by the same manufacture. I bought three water heaters this year all from a plumbing supplied, not Lowe's or HD and all were Rheem. Units with longer warranty is no guarantee that it's a better unit.

FYI, it's a water heater not a hot water heater.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We plumbers, broadly speaking, prefer Pro series from any brand (usually only sold at plumbing supply houses.
They tend to have brass tank drains.
12 year WH use the same tank as 6 yr, just have added anode rod (ie a 2nd rod) and the paperwork for extended warranty.
Note, the item is WATER HEATER, no "Hot" in front of the item.

Last edited:

Eman85

Reaction score
AO Smith is made local to me. I asked around when I needed a water heater and the only difference in their models is the drain valve. On the higher end control models the warranty is longer but the tanks are all the same. I went to Lowes and bought mine. I looked in Rheem and the other brands they made and it was the same story.

Hogan

Reaction score
AO Smith is made local to me. I asked around when I needed a water heater and the only difference in their models is the drain valve. On the higher end control models the warranty is longer but the tanks are all the same. I went to Lowes and bought mine. I looked in Rheem and the other brands they made and it was the same story.

It's interesting that the longer warranty ones in some cases don't even bother to add the second anode rod, and if everything is truly the same otherwise (maybe a brass drain but that shouldn't lengthen the life of the tank per se) then all that is happening is the customer is effectively paying for an extended warranty at purchase as the manufacturer is charging more for a longer warranty unit. So it's nothing more than a financial bet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ill tell you i hear more complaints about AOsmith, and Rheem, Some say its only the big box versions that arent as good.
Bradford white have 6 year warranty with an optional extention on the same heater in other words you pay extra for a longer warranty on a standard 6 year. I have a little more faith in bradford white , but I have little to back it up. mostly gut and talk from others that persuaded me slightly
We have recently stopped selling Rheem gas water heaters til they remedy their gas valves.. too many up front problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks