Hot water heater running

Users who are viewing this thread

gkc301

Reaction score
Hot water heater running even thou the water has been off for days.. ive recently been told i have a leak by my water department but been having a hard time finding it …

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your water heater will continue to operate whether the water is turned off or not. If its electric its a problem because eventually the upper element will become exposed to air and burn out. Gas doesn't matter so much since it would have to evaporate 40-50 gallons of water.. But if its electric just turn off the breaker, or if its gas you can either turn the gas valve to "Vacation" mode which just keeps the pilot lit or shut off the gas supply altogether to be extra safe.

seann

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hot water heater running even thou the water has been off for days.. ive recently been told i have a leak by my water department but been having a hard time finding it …
Well you better catch it!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater running has nothing to do with leaks . follow advice from tuttles but find your leak. shutting off water is one way to isolate whether the hot water piping underground or elsewhere is leaking if leak stops when the hot valve is closed you are half way there. no change indicates elsewhere . if meter is out by street try turning off water at the house and eliminate the house. it could be underground between meter and house of cource you didnt mention water meter location

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Your water heater maintains heated water, usually about 120 degrees whether using water or not. Being told you have a leak is all wrong. 1709175638259.jpeg

Look at the water meter. There is usually a small pin wheel trianglular shape that will spin with the smallest leak or water use. If it's a digital meter, you'll see a flashing arrow indicating water flow.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
To make sure I understand, you hear water running through the water heater, or the water heater is still heating water and water to the house is off?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep we could guess or
gkc come on back with details if you still want help , we dont even know what hot water running means to you or if there is a leak at all .
we be more than happy to help but more info is needed .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks