Help with bathtub leak

Users who are viewing this thread

EatNSleep

Reaction score
Hi, There is water leaking from the the ceiling and there is a bathroom right above. My plumber believe that it was likely the bathtub drain as he drained half a tub of water and half an hour later saw water dripping down below. (He ruled out the toilet as a likely cause as it doesn't move and the area around it was dry). He recommended me to replace the tub and shower stall which involves pretty much redoing the entire bathroom. He was referred by my renovator so I am taking his advice with a grain of salt.

After he left, I replaced the tub drain but it didn't seem to solve the problem. The leak isn't much. It leaks slowly and it normally takes a while for the moisture to penetrate through the ceiling dry wall down below even with two holes drilled through the ceiling dry wall to let the water out.

Where can I most likely find the source of the leak and if I have to find the leak, would you recommend I open the ceiling drywall where the water stains are or where the bathtub drain is? These two areas are about 6 feet apart.

bathroom leak1.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pull and reset the toilet first.
I had the similar thing the other day, the toilet hadn't been shimmed properly.
Yesterday I pulled some toilets that didn't even use wax on the install. A rubber funnel, and with a bit of water around the flange when I pulled it.
Pulling and resetting the toilet is the easiest thing you can do at this time. Sometimes the installer didn't use a thick enough wax seal.
If the flange is lower than the floor, even a little bit, it's a thick seal or two rings stacked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks