Help understanding NPS vs NPT connections for shower head and diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

DuaneK

Reaction score
I'm planning a bathroom tub/shower update and I can't figure out why thread types change and how to deal with it correctly. My question is about a Moen diverter valve that connects to the shower head pipe. By the spec sheet it has an NPT on one side and NPS on two sides. From the picture on their web site it shows a union type NPS coupler (face seal) to the pipe from the wall. This part it confusing because I'm thinking the wall pipe is an NPT on both ends (one into the drop elbow inside wall, and the other into the shower head). It seems that an NPTM pipe to an NPSF shower head is OK and also NPSM to NPSF to a spray head hose is normal. Am I understanding this correct? I realize any connection inside the wall should be NPT.

Diverter.JPG
ippe1.JPG

DuaneK

Reaction score
That was fast Terry thanks, So just to make sure I understand an NPSF can connect to a NPSM or NPTM. Again if they are outside the wall .

DuaneK

Reaction score
To go another step because I prefer the diverter closer to the wall. If I had a short NPT nipple that just passed the trim ring. Then I went to the diverter. I would just need a female/female NPT coupler to transition to the shower arm. If I can find a coupler in brushed nickel?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To go another step because I prefer the diverter closer to the wall. If I had a short NPT nipple that just passed the trim ring. Then I went to the diverter. I would just need a female/female NPT coupler to transition to the shower arm. If I can find a coupler in brushed nickel?

That would work too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks