HELP!!!!Overload Keeps Tripping on Submersible Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Dwayne N

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll try to make this as short and descriptive as I can.

Our sub. pump stopped pumping to the storage tank a few days ago and I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem before the tank runs out of water and I have to have some hauled in. My thoughts are the pump is jammed or it has a short.

Here's what I've got:

2-wire 1/2 HP 10gpm 240v Sta-rite pump (model: L10P4ch) that pumps to the 2k tank. (It was installed 1 year ago). Static level is 50' / pump depth 256' / well is 300'.

It's connected to a Franklin Pumptec control box. (also installed 1 year ago) Tried to get a reading from the IR, but it won't connect to my Palm Tungsten E.

I have a 2k storage tank. (15 years old)

Ghoulds J-10 series booster pump (installed 1-1/2 years ago), sends water from 2k tank to an 80 gal pressure tank, and then up the hill to the house.

Tank has upper float switch for the sub. pump. And a lower float switch for the booster pump.

Here is what I've done so far:

-both float switches tested and work fine
-electrical leads test fine at 122v per from box and to pumps
-control box flashes "yellow" indicating an overload issue
-tried to reset "overload" by shutting off for 20 sec-kept tripping

Very puzzled by the following-please confirm:

I was going to "direct wire" the sub pump after I tested the pump wiring.

When I disconnect the "line" or supply wire from either of the two wires leading down to the sub pump, and I put my tester on the pump side, I still get a reading of 122v from the "disconnected" wire coming up from the sub pump???

This may be a dumb question, but shouldn't the "disconnected" wire have a zero reading? It's the same on either wire going to the sub pump. Or did I just answer the question to my problem and just didn't recognize the "flashing beacon" in my face???

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dwayne in New River, AZ

Dwayne N

Reaction score
Latest Update:

Direct wired the sub. pump to the line feeds and I'm getting a reading of 245v which seems to be within range.

My guess is the pump has something stuck in the impellers or it has a bad start capacitor.

Either way, it's looking like I'm going to have to pull the pump. This will be a first...any tips on pulling the 256', one-piece poly tubing?

If I'm lucky, the company that installed it will honor the 1 year warranty even though it expired 3 weeks ago!!!

Dwayne N

Reaction score
Good news...the well co. is coming by on Thursday to replace the pump and the pumptec controller under the warranty.

Even though the manual they gave me states a 1 year manufacturer warranty, they told me I have a 3 year with them. I'll just need to pay the $90 service call to have them swap them out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks