Heat Smell Issue Resolved

Users who are viewing this thread

Cavalier

Reaction score
I wanted to start a new thread to get some info from the experts. As I stated, we have had a condo in south Florida that has only been used during summer and a couple of weeks in December, until this year. We are now staying in it full time and have noticed an odor sometimes when the heat comes on. It almost smells like wax.

This morning it was a bit cold here in south Florida so I turned on the heat. After about 30 minutes I heard popping noises. This was coming from the air handler, It was starting to smoke and the smells was bad. I turned off the unit. I called my HVAC guy and he will be here in the morning. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this part is replaceable. I really can't afford a new HVAC system right now.

Attachments

• image0 (19).jpeg
    image0 (19).jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 44

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Broadly speaking, many parts can be replaced but with age a factor, that photo is not enough data.
Cause is also a factor; sometimes a loose screw terminal arcing is the cause of such a mess...other times it is a bigger issue.
Also, some companies push their "replacement" as solutions and there are not a lot of outfits that cherish repairs like some oldsters like me favor.
Let us know how it pans out !

Cavalier

Reaction score
We have a warranty company, so I would suspect if it can be replaced, it will. I guess I should be thankful it happened now rather than in July. We would be in a hotel right now if this was July.

Fitter30

Reaction score
They make restring elements that use the metal parts and actual element looks like a spring/ slinky (toy). Part shouldn't be a problem they did (covid) make universal and oem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks