Gurg-gurg sound and water backup in kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Vaughn Eisler

Reaction score
Expert plumbers - I am seeking some guidance as a frequent DIYer but am new to plumbing.

About a week ago I heard a glug-glug sound underneath my kitchen sink. Additionally, water all of a sudden started backing up into the sink. The water in the kitchen sink backs up either when I run the sink itself or when the dishwasher runs. Eventually, water does flow out (takes about 15-20 mins for a small level of water to exit). Both symptoms started simultaneously.

After some research I determined that the gurgling sound might be caused my air flow / venting. As a result, I checked and found an AAV attached. I replaced that, although I understand they don't frequently go bad. I still hear the gurg-gurg sound.

As for the water backing up... I went ahead and bought a 50 ft snake and snaked the pipe. I didn't notice any resistance when sending it down, and when I pulled it out, it was wet, but I didn't really see any junk anywhere. The back up has improved slightly after I snaked the pipe, meaning it takes a little longer for the sink to back up and a small level of water now only takes 10 mins to exit.

I admit I am wondering if it's something as simple as getting a 75 ft or 100 ft snake and trying that to see if the clog is deeper than 50 ft, although at that point it might be more cost effective to simple hire a plumber.

There is no backup anywhere else in the house, meaning I dont observe any flow problems or other symptoms in any other sinks, toilets, showers, etc. It appears isolated to the kitchen sink, as far as I can tell.

I do have pictures of the under the sink configuration, though I haven't figured out how to include them in posts here (this is my first post).

I am wondering if the experts here might have any other suggestions as to what I can try to help resolve these issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vaughn Eisler

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds like your kitchen line will need some work. The equipment for that is more than most homeowners should be using. I have done it in the past, and having my own business, I prefer to hire it out now. Unless you have experience with the power snakes, it can be dangerous. Heck, even with experience it's scary to use.

I do use Bio-Clean on my kitchen sink when it starts to get slow. It's good for eating up the grease that lines the lines. A good treatment takes about a week, mixing it with warm water and dumping it down the sink before going to bed at night.

Also, I suggest replacing garbage disposers at least every ten years. They lose their edge and don't chip up the food matter small enough after a while which winds up filling the lines.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Never snake a kitchen waste line as it is a temporary fix.

Grease build it will not be removed by snaking as it will normally bore a small hole through the grease

Ideally use a water Jetter along with a wet-dry vacuum to scour the lines to restore full flow as originally designed

Snaking is for hard stoppages roots, rags, heavy concentrations of great (Then use a jetter)

Jetting is for soft stoppages soil , grease etc

sylvan-snaking-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Never snake a kitchen waste line as it is a temporary fix.

Grease build it will not be removed by snaking as it will normally bore a small hole through the grease

Ideally use a water Jetter along with a wet-dry vacuum to scour the lines to restore full flow as originally designed

Snaking is for hard stoppages roots, rags, heavy concentrations of great (Then use a jetter)

Jetting is for soft stoppages soil , grease etc

Another reason I don't work on drains. Too much equipment is needed, and so I let the experts handle that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks