Ground Water Expert

Users who are viewing this thread

Bert Lee

Reaction score
I have an issue that is beginning to bore into my sanity like the Telltale Heart and I am at a loss on A) how to address it and B) what sort of plumbing professional do I contact for such a thing?

Here's the back story. One year ago last week we closed on this new home. Immediately started in and working on things even though we didn't physically move in to live until last July. I was here literally every day, usually week nights and Saturday and Sunday days. Not a single time in my recollection did I hear a sump pump turn on. Not once. Or not until this past September and since then it's been literally non stop, with intervals averaging a couple minutes off, 30-60 seconds on, over and over endlessly. Old effing faithful right now for the last three months. Nothing dramatic has changed weather-wise. We had storms, wet periods, etc through the many months it never came on so I am at a loss as to what has caused this sudden and dramatic change in the groundwater entering the sump. It's incredibly maddening and frustrating. Once all this started I had to address pumps, a battery backup, check valves, venting, exit lines etc and have all that sorted except for the plan B drain hose plan should the nearby creek that runs adjacent to my property that these drain into reaches a level that covers the drain pipes or I end up in a deep freeze situation, either of which could create real basement flooding headaches if the drains get blocked for any reason.

One would say that the system is working as intended and while that's true it seems like an excessive amount to be pumping and I have no way of knowing now if it will ever stop. Folks tell me that once it gets cold it should slow or stop but its been cold here in central NY and I am seeing little relief.

Who would I talk to about possible sources for the problem, how is that diagnosed, water tables and ground water levels and sources? What is the remediation and redirection of such things? I am at a loss.

The incoming water is crystal clear and enters through a 3" or 4" pipe at the bottom of the sump. The pumps were set high in the sumps when we moved in so that's how I left them. And it would seem that they remain below the water table because they keep filling to the top. The travel on these Zoeller submersibles is so short that that's contributing to the quick cycling and I have mulled a stand pump that may at least change the on times that we have to listen to these things run. And I installed a brand new M63 in Sep that's already having a sticking float/switch issue which I had to pull. The whole damned system is so needy that I can't get a break from dealing with it. Wits end time...

The dual sump setup
IMG_4765.jpg

The main sump water level and pump height
IMG_4767.jpg

The battery backup side and sump depth, pump placement and water clarity.
IMG_4766.jpg

Thank you for any guidance.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you checked your water supply? Are you on public or well? Usually when these things suddenly start getting filled even in dry season it will be from a leaking water service.

Bert Lee

Reaction score
Have you checked your water supply? Are you on public or well? Usually when these things suddenly start getting filled even in dry season it will be from a leaking water service.

This is a good thought. Public water supply. I had thought about a possible small neighborhood water main break, etc but would expect that to be a bit dirtier water. But could be mine as well although the main enters at the house on the opposite corner of the house. I suppose it could be entering the perimeter drain system if one exists in that area. And no other signs of excessive water on the main side, either along the basement block walls or in the yard above. I'll give the water authority a call this week as a starting point Thank you.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Be prepared for a long battle to "prove" to the water provider that it is their water creating the elevated water table. simple things like, it wasn't this way before, water is very clear, etc. will never get them to address it even if all the evidence points to a source with limitless supply that just showed up out of the blue (ie a leak in the public water supply). Typically, the easiest way to prove it is public water is to show them via testing that the water contains chlorine/chorlamine, flouride, etc. which gets added to the public supply but won't be in ground water. In my experience, all utility companies (power, water, sewer, gas, etc.) claim innocence until beaten over the head with evidence that can't be ignored.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is a good thought. Public water supply. I had thought about a possible small neighborhood water main break, etc but would expect that to be a bit dirtier water. But could be mine as well although the main enters at the house on the opposite corner of the house.
Check the water for chlorine. I think the total chlorine strips would be the better choice.

http://www.lamotte.com/en/drinking-water/test-strips/2963lr-g.html total chlorine strips
http://www.lamotte.com/en/water-wastewater/test-strips/2964-g.html free chlorine strips

Bert Lee

Reaction score
The municipal water authority is supposed to come tomorrow afternoon to have a look around outside, and possibly inside. The testing to confirm as 'city' water is a good one that I'll keep under my hat for now. I could only hope that there is a leak somewhere and that they would prefer to address it simply because of what they would be losing into the ground. However, I would have to assume that there should also be some external signs of a break or leak at the surface, right? Let's see what they offer. And there had been work done in my neighborhood the last couple months I think, albeit a couple blocks away.

My gut tells me this may not be the actual cause though and that it's a true ground water/water table issue.If that I don't know who would know such things or be able to determine and ultimately offer some solutions.

Reach4

Reaction score
My gut tells me this may not be the actual cause though and that it's a true ground water/water table issue.If that I don't know who would know such things or be able to determine and ultimately offer some solutions.
The sewer department might have insight as to whether the ground water level is rising.

CG80SGAL

Reaction score
I feel your pain and frustration. This is EXACTLY what has happened to us! We’ve gone through 7 pumps in the last 4 years. Our sump ran occasionally 6-7 months out of the year prior to Wisconsin’s “500 year flood”. Since then, it, LITERALLY, runs every 30-45 seconds.... The radon mitigation system was never hooked back up due to having to change out sumps so frequently (luckily, we’re empty nesters). I never thought about a PUBLIC water MAIN break/crack/slow leak. I did have the city come and shut off the main to our house in the street for 10 hours with no relief a month after it first started, however. That was yearssss ago, tho. Someone told me “a spring probably opened up under your house due to hydrostatic pressure from the 500 year flood”. . Please post an update. Extremely interested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks