Goodman A36-15 Blower Motor Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Having a problem with my Goodman Janitrol A36-15 blower motor, The blower will come on intermittently. On A/C, the thermostat (Honeywell) will double click and the compressor will start. After the delay, the blower will usually come on and run fine. Recently, it has come on sometimes and sometimes will not. If I kick the blower breaker (30 Amp) on the air handler On/Off On/Off a couple of times, I can get it to start and run. While running, the motor runs normally with no strange noises. I can run the system on Fan Only for hours and the blower runs just fine. If I reset to A/C with the system running, the compressor will start and run and the blower will run until the temperature goes down to the setting as it should. When the thermostat kick again, it may run normally or I am back to kicking the breaker On/Off.

I replaced the run capacitor and the blower delay relay about two months ago to fix this problem and the system has run well til now. It's back to doing the kicking the breaker On/Off. Could my blower motor have a dead spot? I noticed that as I was kicking it On/Off, the unit would buzz like it was stuck, then a few more kicks would start it.

Possibly related: When the system seemed to be running fine, I heard a buzz in the air handler when the outside compressor was running. Once the compressor shut down, the buzz stopped and the blower motor finished its cycle.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
OK. Replaced the blower motor and thought I had it. No, back to the same thing. The motor is going on 18 years old and was a matter of time anyway so, no big deal. How about the transformer? It's pretty much the only thing left......

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
After a week of no replies I'm not sure of you have the problem resolved. The delay relay I believe is call the sequencer and it could have gone bad even after a few months. A far as the transformer is is good or bad, nothing in between. It also runs the thermostat and the relay for the compressor so it's most likely good. If you do a voltage check it can read between 28 volts and 18 depending on the load & your input line voltage, but usually it will be in 20-24 volt range.

Flipping the circuit breaker in this problem is not resolving it or narrowing down the fault.

This procedure is checking the relay;
When the problem occurs, measure the voltage across the coil side of the relay (24volts AC). If there is 24v then check the voltage across the contacts. If you read the line voltage (120 v) then the contacts are open, if no voltage then the contacts are closed. The wiring diagram looks like the BR and BK (brown and black) wires. The BK to BK is when the thermostat is in the fan only position to bring the line voltage to the motor. Most likely the thermostat is good because the red wire from the thermostat is then connected to the blue wire of the relay in the air handler to activate this relay.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/a3620/1755/1610360/p9090131/00001.html

I found this with a google search and it has a electrical drawing.
http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/6j19c-goodman-janitrol-a36-15-air-handler-continues-run.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks